• Register Today It's free!

4x4 light question

2003vstrom

Reaction score
City, State
coldwater,michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited 4X4
hi guys I got a sweet deal on a 2002 explorer 4x4 limited with everything on it side airbags, message center, dual climate, black leather, moon roof, etc. I have 15 years of exp. of work on truck and cars, anyways when you start it, all of the lights on the gauge cluster light up like they suppose too, but the 4x4 high doesn`t but the 4x4 low does, I figured something happend to the led for the 4x4 high so I took out the gauge cluster and did a test on the led and it lights up with no problem, I figured it must be the 4x4 cm because my 4x4 doesn`t work, it still has the orginal 4x4cm in it, I figured if the module was bad then the 4x4 low wouldn`t come on either, and opinions, I`m just going to order the 4x4 cm and see if that fixes the problem.:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is just a FWIW: When I first turn the key on my '02 Eddie Bauer 4.0 - the 4x4 Low light comes on first -- like 2 seconds later - the 4x4 Low goes off and the 4x4 High shows up. ??

thanks for the reply yeah mine doesn`t even come on at all, I have the 4x4 cm removed and the 4x4 low light still comes on I thought for sure that after I removed the module that the 4x4 low wouldn`t even come on but it still comes on and the 4x4 high still doesn`t come on, I have a wiring manual coming, I`m going to trace the circuit back and see why the 4x4 low range light comes on and way doesn`t the 4x4 high come for the self check

This had me curious so I just went out and did mine I just turned it to on without turning it on and just 4X4 low came on. Then I started it and ran up to wawa, again 4X4 low came on. Ran into the store got some Iced tea and a pack of Marlboro menthols came out and started it. This time 4X4 Low came on went off and 4X4 high came on. I wouldnt think this is a big deal, I used the 4X4 high last weekend with no problems.

yeah Thats weird I have a 99 ranger and they both come on the same time, but I guess I will just wait for the 4x4 cm and plug it in and see what happens It has 153,000 miles and still has the orginal 4x4 cm, so I will see if the new fixes the problem, thanks Guys:thumbsup:

I have an '02 Explorer XLT and as far as I know my 4WD Auto, Hi, and Lo all work properly.

When I start my Ex, here's what I'm observing: Turn key to "on," and 4x4 low dash light illuminates. Then on "start," both 4x4 low and 4x4 high dash lights illuminate for about 2 seconds, then both go out.

Hope this helps...

yeah my 4x4 high light doesn`t even come on at all, like I said before, I pulled the gauge cluster out and checked the LED and it was fine,I so I will just wait for my new 4x4 cm and factory wiring manual and fix it then thanks guys:thumbsup:

yeah guys my problem was the 4x4 module too like everyone else, I just received yesterday, I disconnected the battery , installed it , connected the battery started it up and sweet my 4x4 high light comes on when I start it, I tested it in the drive way to make sure it lock in 4x4 high, and 4x4 low, it works flawless:thumbsup:

I have same problem, tried to price replacement but for Australia couln't even identify the part number. I have 1L24 7H473 AG. Can anyone give me the replacement part number so I can try again. Also can I order direct from USA?

Back