• Register Today It's free!

4x4 low not working

eds4x4ex

Reaction score
City, State
li n.y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer94xlt
i have a94 explorer automatic 4.04x4 the 4x4light comes on in high range i hear the hubs click in but when i press 4x4 low no light no nothing. any ideas what this could be? i just bought this privately and did not check low range when i bought it.:(

hummmmm

make sure u are putting it in neutral when u try to engage 4 low and give it a few seconds

yes i put it in neutral and press the low button and it does not click or lightup on the dash or anything.

some tips......maybe

i am having a similar issue with my 96. I do have the 4x4 auto light coming up. My truck just refuses to engage 4x4 auto while moving...4x4 lo works fine...although i lost all capabilitys in a bad snowstorm recently. I was told to replace my shift motor.

could be a bad GEM module....sits alongside the radio. Or it could be a bad relay...sits next to the battery. The shift motor is in cicuit with the relays as well as the GEM module. supposedly the GEM can cut-off power if it detects a problem at the shift motor or relays (flashing lights!). Have the 3 diagnosed...see if there are any GEM codes as well.

Back