4x4 Newbie Needs Some help

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
I've spent the past 17 years in a 2wd Exp. Now however I've got a 4x4 (a 99 4.0LSOHC Limited) and I've got a few things I don't quite understand on how everything works together.

For instance I need to disconnect the front driveshaft in order to do other maintenance. I don't know if I need to have it up on Jack stands so the wheels are free to turn or if I can just use my ramps. I did find out to mark the driveshaft at the coupling point to preserve the balance but don't know if the shaft will turn unless the wheels are free to turn as well.

It's some practical stuff like this that I need pointers on. I'm sure it's stupid questions to most of you but I've just never had any 4wd experience. So any help you guys can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

I do understand about the power distribution of the transfer case so I'm not that completely ignorant of some of the workings overall it's just some hands on stuff I need to know. Thanks.

I've never taken mine apart but think the shaft is coupled to the wheels and you'll need them free for it to turn. This is because the speed sensors to activate the auto 4WD (based on wheel slip) are on the shafts so they have to always be turning. The electric clutch decoupling is in the transfer case.

Back