• Register Today It's free!

4x4 not working...Brown wire mod?

skoal_mint

Reaction score
City, State
Geraldton ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport 4.0
Well I did the brown wire mod last year, But I had a problem a couple of months ago where my truck wouldn't start and I heard the tranny module clicking so I cut a wire ( I think ) but it still wouldn't start...corroded battery cables, lol

Like I said, I think I cut the brown wire somewhere. I bypassed my switch for the brn wire mod and still dosnt work, the light turns on for high and low, I can can hear a click in the module.

today seems like it will be warming up so maybe i'll take another look. Is their suppose to be power to the brown wire? i'll test it from in the dash to under the truck near the transfer case motor...if that works whats my next step?

The first thing to do would be to check for power atht ebrown wire where it enters the t-case. Turn the key on, set it to 4high, and probe the brown wire with a multimeter (not a test light). You should see power there. If you do, then we can be pretty sure it's a t-case issue. If not, chase the wiring back to where you spliced in for the BWM and see where the power gets lost. Odds are, it's a bad connection somewhere. If it was a fuse or electrical problem in the OEM wiring, odds are the lights wouldn't be on at all.

-Joe

I checked all fuses, but thats about all, way too cold out.

Yes, multimeters are when I use on electrical problems now, lernt that the hard way at work.

Long story short, Had a car sitting in the shop for 4 days replaced cranks sensor, pcm,fuel pump... Just becasue a light turns on doesnt mean theirs full power.
It was a broken wire under the fuse box with just one strand giving enough power

Thanks, I'll try that tommrow

Back