4X4 Not Working, HELP!!

02raptor_rider

Reaction score
City, State
Pine Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Hey,
Im new to this site, just found it, i have a 91 exlorer 4X4 that i have a problem with, the 4X4 wont work, when i push the button on the dash, i hear clicking then the light comes on, but it isnt engaged, i hear a kind of whining or clicking noise coming from the hub when the rear tires are spinning like in the snow, its almost like it tries to go in, but something in the hub isnt letting it, also when i put it in four low, i hear the clunk in the front and the light comes on, but still the front wheels wont spin, i have had the hubs apart a few times and i did load them with grease, but after doing some reading ive read that your not supposed to put grease in them, that the grease will stop them from engaging, another thing is that the clicking noise only comes from the drivers side, the passenger side makes no noise and the side doesnt engage either, i need help asap as the snow is coming, thanks a lot guys

p.s. looks like a great site you got here :thumbsup:

02raptor_rider said:
Hey,
Im new to this site, just found it, i have a 91 exlorer 4X4 that i have a problem with, the 4X4 wont work, when i push the button on the dash, i hear clicking then the light comes on, but it isnt engaged, i hear a kind of whining or clicking noise coming from the hub when the rear tires are spinning like in the snow, its almost like it tries to go in, but something in the hub isnt letting it, also when i put it in four low, i hear the clunk in the front and the light comes on, but still the front wheels wont spin, i have had the hubs apart a few times and i did load them with grease, but after doing some reading ive read that your not supposed to put grease in them, that the grease will stop them from engaging, another thing is that the clicking noise only comes from the drivers side, the passenger side makes no noise and the side doesnt engage either, i need help asap as the snow is coming, thanks a lot guys

p.s. looks like a great site you got here :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site. Sounds like your auto-hubs if you have them are shot. Here's a nice link with info on your 4x4 system. http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/exp.html It contains info on how to diagnose the box in the rear compartment that controls the 4wd & other info. Also how about you plan on joining us at Rausch Creek on the 19th of February, your close enough. Click the link in my signature if your interested.

With the clunks, sounds like the t-case motor is doing its job. You need to pull the nubs apart again and clean all the grease out. You only want a slight layer of grease on the parts for lubrication. With your driver's side hub making noise, it may be bad, but start with cleaning them out.

Hey guys, thanks for the help, but im pretty sure my hubs are shot, i cleaned them all out and it still does the same thing, guess im gonna have to go with manual hubs, anyone know a cheap place to get em? or does anybody have any that theyre selling? would bad u-joints make my 4X4 do this? im pretty sure both my U-joints in the front are bad, they move all around, thanks

p.s. wont be able to make it february 19th, im racing down at motorama, sorry :(

Back