• Register Today It's free!

4x4 out again

InNeed

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL 5 speed 4x4
A few months ago my transfer case motor locked up on me while I was in 4x4 low. I couldn't get it back into 4x4 high or 2x4. I took it into a local shop and they checked all of the electronics and then removed the transfer case motor and found that it was very dirty and after cleaning it everything worked perfectly. The other day I tried to put my X into 4x4 low. Instead of shifting into 4x4 low it kicked me out of 4x4 all together. Would you think this is the transfercase motor again or electric? If it is the transfer case motor, is it worth cleaning again or should I just replace it? Does anyone know the typical price of a motor? I am worried this is going to be an ongoing problem and I am debating converting to a manual shifting transfer case. I would appreciate some info on prices (parts only not labor) and models of manual shifting transfercases and some of the pros and cons of making this conversion both in labor and performance.
Thanks
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Similar situation

I have a similar problem.
Las week I went to the beach, to prove 4x4 in the sand dunes, then an unexpected noise started, some like trock-trock-trock when put the 4x4, mmhh, there's something wrong here - i said to me-, ok, yes, double traction still works, (4x4 and low range modes), but not without this noise. Sounds like if some gear do not fit (or engauge, i don't find the exact word) with the other part of the mechanism, and then produce this sounds. Well, as result of this, today when i try to set 4x4 there is a fail, sometimes get in, sometimes not. I don't set 4x4 anymore 'till revise it again. In normal mode the truck works perfectly.

If somebody can explain me some about this, just to have any idea to comment to the shop's technician when i take the truck to revise it, i will appreciate it a lot.

Thanks.

Matt, did you try disconnecting the battery for a while? Sometimes motor forgets where it is and doesn't work. Also, it may just have become misaligned. Have you used it in 4lo since getting it fixed?

Miguel, if the 4x4 is working but you are getting noises from the front end, then it is probably your automatic hubs going bad. They are not the strongest, and many people have replaced them w/ manual locking hubs. Run a search for hubs and you'll find LOTS of threads about what goes wrong with them and how to fix/replace.

Matt-

I have been having problems with my transfer case motor as well. I tried cleaning it up and reinstalling it several times, no joy! I have finally come to the conclusion that I need to replace the motor, but have not had the $$. NAPA quoted me $213, dealer said $293, and fordpartsonline.com said $245 (I think). As you can see it is not a cheap part. You could try cleaning it up again or just buy the new one. I say if you got the $$ to spend just buy the new part. You might want to check out this link about disassembly and cleaning if you don't have the cash:

Dead Link Removed

Good luck!

I have tried disconnecting the battery and it didn't help. I was afraid the motors would be that expensive. I am trying to rationalize the cost of replacing it. If I do replace it I wonder how long it will last. I would still like to see some prices on manual shifting transfer cases. If the manual T-cases aren't incredibly expensive I might see if I can clean this motor and start a fund for T-case. Thanks for the info.
Matt

Thanks Tom.

After research, only one more question:

what is a hub?? ha, it's a joke.

ok, next time first to search and then later (if still some doubts left) post a thread. And thanks for understand my poor english, and if you know someone who can helpme to translate to spanish some technicals words, i will aprecciate it.

Back