• Register Today It's free!

4x4 problems 1994 ford explorer

Gavin Kamp

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer EddieB
Hello everyone Im kinda new on the site but I need help. I have a 1994 ford explorer. So my 4x4 wont work. The dash lights light up when I engage the 4x4 and 4x4 low. I can hear the relays and stuff and im in neutral the whole time. I cleaned the hubs they were filled with grease... But they are perfectly cleaned now and still don't think they are engaging please help.:exp::exp::exp:

You need to verify the transcase is going into 4x4 first. If that doesn't work, the hubs won't lock either...

With the truck in 2wd, see if you can spin the front drive shaft (goes from transfer case to front diff). You should be able to.

Now put the truck in 4x4 and see if you can spin the front shaft. If you cannot then the transfer case is going into 4x4.

Now that you know that works, if the hubs still aren't locking even after you have cleaned all the dirt/grease out you most likely just need new hubs. The cheapest way is either junk yard (not recommended since the auto hubs there are normally bad too) or convert to manual hubs.

~Mark

Back