4X4 question

bschnur

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgeville, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer XLT
Hi Guys,

I have 2010 EB Explorer. It is the 4X4 model. On my dash panel I have 3 buttons for 4 wheel drive. 4X4 Auto, 4X4 High and 4X4 Low.

When i select either 4X4 High or Low I get a light/indicator on the dash to display which mode is engaged, but when I select 4X4 Auto, there is no display indication? When I turn the key to the on position all the dash indicators light and I wanted to see if there was in fact a indicator that should be lit. There is none? So how do you know whether 4X4 Auto is engaged or not? Even the button for it does not have a indicator light. Only the 4X4 High and Low does??? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x4-Auto is the default mode for your Explorer, and the system is the same as the AWD system in my Mountaineer. If there is no indicator light, you are in 4x4-Auto mode. The reason is because in Auto mode, you are only RWD until rear slip is detected, then torque is transfered to the front. Moving into 4x4Hi or 4x4Lo locks the center differential, and lights the appropriate indicator (based on transfer case position).

Next time you are at a stop light on wet pavement (in 4x4Auto), try giving it enough gas to spin the rear tires a little. Not enough to engage the traction control, just just enough so you feel/hear that "clunk" when the front axle engages. I'm wondering if you get a 4x4Hi light momentarily.

This assumes you have the V8 powertrain. The V6 AWD (4x4Auto) works a little differently. The V6 center diff is always sending some torque to the front wheels, while the V8 is 100% RWD until rear slip is detected.

But V8 or V6, the default is 4x4Auto (no indicator light).

Thanks. I have the V6, so that makes sense. It's always in auto 4X4 unless you select 4X4 High or low. My truck does not have the AWD emblem like I have seen on others, it just has the 4X4 emblem. So I thought this button for 4X4 Auto engaged it? Thanks for the response!

In this case, it's just marketing. Put "AWD" on an Explorer, and people would feel it's less capable, even though it's the same system as in the Mountaineer. So they call it 4WD.

4th gen Explorer or Mountaineer: If it's 4WD or AWD, you can't have it locked into RWD-only mode without pulling a fuse.

What advantage is their to bypassing the factory setup and trying to force 2wd only?

Hi Guys,

I have 2010 EB Explorer. It is the 4X4 model. On my dash panel I have 3 buttons for 4 wheel drive. 4X4 Auto, 4X4 High and 4X4 Low.

When i select either 4X4 High or Low I get a light/indicator on the dash to display which mode is engaged, but when I select 4X4 Auto, there is no display indication? When I turn the key to the on position all the dash indicators light and I wanted to see if there was in fact a indicator that should be lit. There is none? So how do you know whether 4X4 Auto is engaged or not? Even the button for it does not have a indicator light. Only the 4X4 High and Low does??? Thanks!
My 2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 I have the issue with my 4x4 auto / on demand? I don't know if it will light up somewhere when the 4x4 auto / on demand kicks in. Because when I push the 4x4 auto button it don't seem like anything happens. Thanks in Advance for your help!

I found other posting related to my topic after I posted this.

4x4 auto button used to get the TOD system back from being locked on 4x4 high (constant FWD torque)

Back