• Register Today It's free!

4x4 switch mod idea.

mental_help

Reaction score
City, State
Hazlehurst,GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
OK i was sitting in my truck looking at my 4X4 switch(top pic) wondering if i could extend the wires and rout them to the middle arm rest and then mount the switch here(bottom pic) just wanted to git your input on this.

View attachment 39163

armrest.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this exact same mod to my old Ford Probe GT on 15" wheels.

was it easy to do?

Yes it was very easy to do. It was very nice because I didn't have to take my arm off the center console to shift it into 4wd.

have any ideas on how to route the wiring? P.S i am pulling up my carpet in a couple weeks and bed lining my floor. So it would be kind of hard to hide the wiring so any help on this would be grate.

I just grabbed a longer BAU harness from an Econoline van. Check the 92-96 ones as they switched to BAV harnesses in 1997.

I was gunna splice into the wires and extend them.

bump i put a better photo of the armrest.

What are you going to put in to replace the hole where the switch use to go?

He could put a gauge in there... That would look nice... Possibly a pyrometer or a boost gauge... I would probably recomend a Tranny Temp gauge though...

or i could but a 2wd explorer xlt vent are where the 4wd would go then it would look like 2 vents.

I think it would look cool. What do you think?

I think you would be driving down the road, and by accident, you would rest your arm on the console and toss it into 4wd at highway speed.......kaboom.....

the thing is right at the end of my finger tips and at a angle so i would notice if i put it in 4wd. but good point.

yes, it can be done. For a while I converted the push buttons into momentary toggle switches. But I ended up changing them back. Never thought about moving them because as draper mentioned it would really suck to engage it at the wrong time.

And please tell me you noticed that the ford probe on 15" previously mentioned is NOT CAPABLE OF 4WD.

And please tell me you noticed that the ford probe on 15" previously mentioned is NOT CAPABLE OF 4WD.

Man, I was just about to call you out on that one. Or ask what truck frame you dropped the GT's body onto, lol.

I like the Idea mental. It won't be hard to hid the wires, I have several going to my center console (horn button and CB wires). Just splice into the harness (or remove it (PITA from what I hear)) and run the wires under the door frame, then under the driver's seat and over to the console. There will already be some wires running this rout under your carpet to get to the driver's seat belt switch thing.

Dude your ideas always get me so stoked up to go try new things on my explorer. Just trying to see what kind of cool ideas I cam come up with. Keep those wonderful mods flowing in to the board!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My fear with this mod would be a drink tipping over and shorting the switch.

Back