4x4 to 2WD. What to do with Transfer Case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 to 2WD. What to do with Transfer Case?

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
It has been 5 years since I ditched the front axle on my 4WD, however, the transfer case is still intact and just dead weight at this point. Is there a simple way to remove this completely? Will I need longer driveshaft?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 400

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

unless your getting a 2wd trans, your going to have to leave the case where it sits. you cant pull the case, and put a rear drive shaft are run like that.

I see...

What is the going rate of the 2WD tranny these days?

I thought there was a 2WD tail housing that could be bolted up to the trans and a longer driveshaft installed?

I thought there was a 2WD tail housing that could be bolted up to the trans and a longer driveshaft installed?

The output shaft in the transmission is different as well. And it's the last thing to be pulled out of the housing when doing a rebuild.

Im going to do this swap. (since my Trans is in pieces getting rebuilt)

Will a drive shaft out of a Ranger work or does it have to be from a Explorer?
Will a 2nd gen Explorer 2WD shaft work in my 1994 or does it have to be from a first gen?

Thanks,
-Charles

Picked up a 2WD output shaft from the JY for $24 (yeah yuh!) yesterday.

I know they all had the oiler holes EXCEPT for the 4.0, was that a torque reason? If I install it behind my 4.0 am I going to twist that shaft? or will it be ok? Or were the oil holes removed for fluid passage reasons? Is it going to be putting fluid where I don't want it or are the holes just not going to be used and it won't affect anything?

9333667809_91c44efc4c_b.jpg

Thanks for the advice,

-Charles

Back