• Register Today It's free!

4x4 what do you think it is?

navynmr

Reaction score
City, State
Amherst, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 explorer sport. I have a problem where it engages into 4wd hi and low fine. When i switch back to 2wd the light shows its changed, but i still can feel it in 4wd, after driving a lil, randomly it goes to 2wd. All the lights work fine.

I removed the shiftmotor opened it, the brushing was fine. cleaned dust off the motor brush contacts. Put everything back, and same thing.

I saw something that might be the prob but am not sure.
The motor casing in between the two magnets at the end has a seating for the metal rod that goes in, and it moves pull the motor to one side of the magnet. Is it supposed to? or should it float in the middle? Could that cause the motor to get stuck?

Do you think i should replace the shift motor with a new one. Or do you think its something else. Thank you soo much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moved thread to Transmission, Transfer Cases & Differentials.

The shift motor is not the culprit as the shift motor is not involved in 4WD operation (in the 2nd generation Explorers) -- it controls only the HI or LO range and 4wd is engaged via an electromagnet driven clutch system.

My suggestion right now would be to do a fluid change on the transfer case -- it only takes less than three quarts of fluid (I think) so its a cheap first step. The problem COULD be electrical (sensor, computer, etc...) but it is unlikely because the lights are operating as they should, which means the 4wd has probably been electrically turned "off" leaving the rest of the 4wd disengagement to the clutch.

If changing the fluid does not change anything, then the transfer case probably has a mechanical problem. My initial thought (if this is the case) is that you cracked the gear pictured below and at least one of the three balls is caught in the resulting crack -- applying pressure on the clutch discs and therefore leaving the vehicle in 4wd until the ball is kicked back into its groove after X minutes of driving:
cracked.jpg

EDIT -- oh and cracking this gear is not unheard of (thats mine above)

thx izwack but my car has the 2wd switch and not the auto, should the same thing you say apply? thx. Ill do the transfer case fluid change

thx izwack but my car has the 2wd switch and not the auto
Oh really? I was not aware! My fault!

I'm not 100% sure if it applies but my guess is that it does since to my knowledge, your vehicle still uses the Borg-Warner 4405 transfer case.

so should the same thing apply? or would that be the switch motor? thx

Sorry - I edited my previous post so there's part of the answer to your question there.

Also, while you're changing the fluid, look for a sticker on the body of the transfer case that looks like this:
tcase4405tag_97model.jpg

Yours probably wont say 7GA but look at the line that says 44-05 (second line thats the model number) -- that is the transfer case I assumed you had.

If you dont find this sticker, look for a small metal tag on one of the bottom bolts that holds together both transfer case halves -- that should also say 44-05.

If you have the 4405, then yes everything I said still applies.

In '01, the Sport and Sport Trac still got the 44-05 case, but it works like the 13-54 did (i.e. a lockup collar and a true 2wd position). No ball-ramp clutch assembly to fail in his case.

From the '01 Sport/Sport Trac Service Manual:

Transfer Case Power Flow

The Borg-Warner 13-54 Shift Transfer Case provides LOW RANGE driving. This system has no selectable neutral.

In the 4x2 mode, torque from the transmission is transferred to the input shaft (7017), which in turn drives the rear output shaft that drives the rear axle assembly.

The 2W-4W shift is accomplished through the shifting of the lockup collar (7106) that engages the drive sprocket (7177) on the rear output shaft. The drive sprocket turns the drive chain (7A029) which turns the driven sprocket on the front output shaft assembly (7061). The front output shaft assembly then drives the front driveshaft.

The high-low shift is accomplished when the reduction fork assembly moves the reduction hub (7100) to engage the complete carrier assembly (7A398) to the output shaft. Torque from the input shaft assembly is then transmitted through the sun gear (7D063) which then turns the complete carrier assembly. The complete carrier assembly, now engaged to the output shaft, provides the reduction.

The unit is lubricated by a gerotor oil pump assembly (7A149) that channels oil through the bore in the rear output shaft.

So, with that in mind, I'd troubleshoot it like a 13-54. Pop the motor off when it *feels* like it's stuck in 4high and see where the shift rail is pointed. If it's not back in the 2wd position, then it can only be because the shift motor did not put it there. However, since the contacts are attached to the plate that spins with the shaft, I'd find it hard to believe that the transfer case wasn't actually disengaging unless there's an excessive amount of slop between the shift motor and the rail.

There isn't even a center axle disconnect to hang-up... it's a live front axle, so the front end is turning all the time anyways.

Here's the million dollar question: When it feels like it's stuck in 4high, do you experience driveline bind-up when cornering? If so, then there's something hanging up in the transfer case (I would suspect the lockup collar). If not, then it's not really stuck in 4high. Make sense?

In '01, the Sport and Sport Trac still got the 44-05 case, but it works like the 13-54 did (i.e. a lockup collar and a true 2wd position). No ball-ramp clutch assembly to fail in his case.
Wow really? I'm gonna have to get my hands on one of those Sport 4405s and disect!

Indeed, I'm thinking it might make a decent alternative for certain applications... I'm wondering what else it might bolt up to though, and how you would make it work? From what I can tell, it uses a gem-controlled pair of shift relays instead of a module-controlled setup like the 13-54... I wonder if a 13-54 system could also be used to shift that particular 44-05?

Also makes me think that if there's a way to shift it with a motor, there's a way to shift it with a lever... Then, those that want a manual shift 44-05 could swap one in and retrofit a lever... maybe a lever out of a Ranger?? Hmmm....

Sorry... we're getting off-topic here... [/hijack]

-Joe

Here's the million dollar question: When it feels like it's stuck in 4high, do you experience driveline bind-up when cornering? If so, then there's something hanging up in the transfer case (I would suspect the lockup collar). If not, then it's not really stuck in 4high. Make sense?

ok ill go through the troubleshooting procedure. but what is driveline bind-up. Is it when the tires are not inflated properly and a kind of pressure on the driveline? I feel like the it takes force for move in 4x4 high, like it can't go too fast or something might pop. thx gijoe

Back