• Register Today It's free!

4x4 wont work under a load

Shaggzfate

Reaction score
City, State
Thoreau, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
First off, i have a 1994 ford ranger, it has a 4.0 vin x and mazda 5 speed tranny, not sure on the transfer case, but it is one of those phoney electic push button systems, on which i've already replaced the shift motor on. My problem started when one of my automatic hubs went out, it started making the tell tell whirling noise. Not wanting to buy one new at ford's prices, i ended up getting one from a junk yard. Within 3 days the other side went bad, which at the time wasnt a big deal as i assumed the hubs had equal milage and damage (the original one that broke and the other side, not the junker). Fast forward a few months (this week) i just decided to switch over to manual hubs. I went with Mile Marker, and did get the conversion kit. I followed all the instructions to a T, even torqueing the outside lock nut to 150ft pounds.

Now comes my problem, when i tried to go up the mesa to my house, the hubs started "whirling" again. I've taken off both sides and double checked all my torque requirements and insured that everything was in order per the instructions. My question is, what is going on here? Theres no reason that i can see that the hubs can still be at fault, and was hoping someone here has either had experience with this issue, or has a solution.

Sounds to me like a probable transfer case issue (incomplete engagement)
Maybe the shift motor isn't fully engaging it into gear?

(it's a Borg Warner 1354 case BTW, which there is a manual (lever) shift version available, though they can be tough to find)

Well i'm off tomarrow, so i'll start at the shifting motor and work my way to the front differential and see what i cant find, hopefully it is just the motor again, as that would be the most inexpensive fix. Dont want it to be an all star off road machine, just to be able to get home this winter would be nice. Dont really want to spend too much on this though, i've already dropped $6k into this thing since i baught it in '06, thats already a few bills more then i paid to get the truck, so if its the transfer case its self, i may just scrap the idea of getting it fixed and look more into a trade off at some point soon. (the engine already has a blown ring in the first cylinder, but the re-ring and engine rebuild kit just doesnt fit my price range at this point)

Well good news, and worse news. My shift motor, sending unit, transfer case and front pumpkin are fine. Bad news its the spindle, and i cant find a replacement from any off the auto part stores web sites to start basing prices. Anyone have an idea where i can find it outside of a junk yard and Ford?

Back