4x4. Wtf is that sound? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4. Wtf is that sound?

The video is set to private..

In the mean time. Are you on pavement when you are trying this? If so, something has to slip and if the the tires won't and if things go as planned, the hub breaks instead of anything else..

Without hearing anything yet.. I'm going to assume it's a hub first, BUT since it only happens when turned it "could" be a front u-joint where it goes through the knuckle.

~Mark

The video is set to private..

In the mean time. Are you on pavement when you are trying this? If so, something has to slip and if the the tires won't and if things go as planned, the hub breaks instead of anything else..

Without hearing anything yet.. I'm going to assume it's a hub first, BUT since it only happens when turned it "could" be a front u-joint where it goes through the knuckle.

~Mark

Thanks for letting me know. Its public now so if you could take a looky id be thankful. And yes it is on pavement when it does it.

Sounds like either;

A busted hub that is not fully engaged, or;
Something in the steering like a loose tie rod or bushing.

Go through the suspension with a pry bar, check all ball joints, u-joints, tie rods, links, etc. See what is loose.

Mark (Maniac) is right, don't drive a vehicle on dry pavement while its in 4wd. Things break.

Back