• Register Today It's free!

4x4

92expsu

Reaction score
City, State
hazleton PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer
I have a 92exp. The problem is when the hubs are locked and the 4wd is engaged and I turn the wheel all the way left or right the front tires bind and do not wana turn. Any input is good input. O new upper and lower balljoints and u-joints both sides.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

quarter says you are doing this on dry pavement...and thats whats going to happen...4wd is only for limited traction surfaces, and even then there will be some binding, dont crank the wheels all the way

that is completely normal, nothing is wrong.

No nothing wrong but don't make a habit of doing this on dry ground!

don't worry, it'll stop binding like that when you grenade the transfer case.

vrytired said:
don't worry, it'll stop binding like that when you grenade the transfer case.

or blow up a u joint

Basically what they are saying, that you shouldn't engage 4x4 when on dry pavement or asphalt. The tires need to be able to slip. I wouldn't even engage it in the rain. Only on dirt or snow.

PositiveVibes said:
I wouldn't even engage it in the rain. Only on dirt or snow.

that being said, you should still engage it every once in a while (at least once a month) and drive for a few feet so everything stays lubricated. This is important if you only drive on pavement and dont get to actually use 4x4 that often.

jgilbs said:
that being said, you should still engage it every once in a while (at least once a month) and drive for a few feet so everything stays lubricated. This is important if you only drive on pavement and dont get to actually use 4x4 that often.
Exactally, I have talked to a ford tech that said he has opened up fron diffs on 4x4 trucks and SUV's to find the top half of the gears to be rusted from sitting out of the oil all their life and having never been used.

I engauge my 4x4 once a month when entering my apartment complexes parking area. There is a decently long straight away that i can 'safely' engauge the 4x4 and drive straight and slowly.

Back