• Register Today It's free!

5.0 4r70w combo

93Expo4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
Hey yall thinking about picking up a 5.0 explorer. how capable are the 4r70w transmissions? going to lift, probably onto 33s. for an adventure rig and weekend warrior. i dont know much about these trannies being i own a 93 and its got the boat anchor A4LD. i know the 5.0 capabilities pretty well as i built a 88 mustang using the heads and intakes from an expo. just curious as to what yalls opinions are. i know these were used in the f150s previous. any info would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4r70 is one of the best Ford automatics out there. They always last 200k+ miles when maintained

220k miles on mine, and it's still as good as new. They are the best auto tranny you can get in an Explorer.

I run the 4R70W in my 400+HP 400+ft/lb torque rock crawler Bronco without a complaint. They are a great transmission.

Best trans they ever put in an Explorer, worked fine in F150s and even better in the lighter Explorer/Mountaineer. Reliable, and if you want very easy to mod/build up.

what rear end ratios came with the 5.0 explorer stock? does it hold up to bigger tires well or is an aftermarket trans cooler a good idea? also will be towing minor, a pop up tent trailer, and occasionally wood when its that time of year. Im thinking a 5.0 explorer because of the torque increase, and i love the explorer platform. will be swapping the AWD with a 4wd transfer case.

Best trans they ever put in an Explorer, worked fine in F150s and even better in the lighter Explorer/Mountaineer. Reliable, and if you want very easy to mod/build up.

Every one I've had in an F-150 has blown up sub 100k miles. They're great in explorers, horrible in F-150's. Too light duty of a trans for a big truck.

Back