5.0 4r70w np205 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4Mounty

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mercury Mountaineer
I have just completed a 5.0 auto AWD to 4x4 conversion on my 97 Mounty. I want to share the experience with everyone here. I had a late 70's NP 205 t-case in the barn, (bolted to a C-6), so I thought I'd try one of those before dropping the cash on a 4406 case. Long/short is it works and works well. The swap was relatively easy and required very little modifications to the stock parts. Here is a break down of what I had to do:

1. Remove center console, carpet, & trans access panel, (I made a longitudinal incision in the middle of the carpet so that I only had to roll it to each side).
2. Remove AWD t-case, (and all that that requires: VSS & drive shafts)
3. Remove and clearence the t-case adapter for the upper shifter rail on the NP 205, (you will have to remove material up to the first threaded boss from the t-case mount flange).
4. Put 1/2" to 3/4" spacer between the tranny cross-member and its mount, (this will depend on the size of the output yoke on the front of the t-case).
5. Re install the trans/t-case adapter.
6. Install NP205 t-case.
7. Install VSS or vehicle speed sensor, (this is as simple as bolting it in on the 97' and previous years, I believe 98' up use a tone ring so that will require modification of the output housing and reworking the tone ring to fit the NP 205 shaft.)
8. Fabricate a mount on the drivers side frame rail to support the new t-case, (this is not a suggestion, it is very necessary).
9. Connect drive shafts, (your front shaft will need to be shortened and the rear shaft will need to be lengthened. My measurements were -5" front and +3" rear, also you will have to change the flange mounts out for the yoke style - if your rig will be used on the road, I recommend having these made).
10. Cut hole in floor on left side of the trans tunnel and install your shifter assembly, (this will be a custom fit for each application).
11. Check fluids, fitment, function, bolts, and enjoy.

I will add pics and detailed information as I can from here.

Ok, apparently I can't post photos without paying $20. Am I missing something?

Where it says post quick reply or go advanced hit go advanced then scroll down to manage attachments, I really wanna see how it fits I have a pile of 205s

Did you ever get pictures of this?
How low does it hang down?

Back