• Register Today It's free!

5.0 AWD 72k miles

whoathere

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport
Well, I just test drove a 2001 Mountaineer, 5.0 AWD, it has 72,000 miles... It's white, sunroof, it has cruise, tilt, cd/tape(non RDS) power drivers seat, full length console, no message center, no digital climate, no leather. I can get a killer of a deal on this thing, but I don't really know a lot about the 5.0, or the AWD for that matter. Is there anything I should look out for, or check? Opinions are greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO you're a fool if you dont snatch that sucker. The 5.0 is pretty much indestructable as well as the tranny.

If well maintained you will get another 128,000 out of it no problem at all.

What are they asking?

My '98 5.0 AWD is currently at 141,000 miles with no out of the ordinary repairs... just regular maintenance.

make sure the heat and ac work ! i'm on 126,000, no drivetrain issues at all.

He currently has an 00 Sport so I'm sure he's aware of the blend door issue.

well, I told him to hold onto it for me til next week. He wants $5k.

Blend door issue? What blend door issue...

If the thing is in good shape, that is a STEAL.

I gave $4500 for my '98 X with 127k and I regard that as a good deal.

I think the 98+ have a stronger blennd door, not sure of this though.
I wouldn't worry about it any more than with your current truck.
In fact, if your current truck is going to be a trade--you will be trading away the most likely problems IMO

You should be o.k. as I believe ford fixed this by or before 2000.

The blend door is what contrls the heat & A/C. As you move the heat control nob between hot to cold this is the door that controls the amount.

Ford used a crappy material on older models and the top of the blend door where the actuator goes into it breaks leaving you eihter with nothing but heat or A/C depending on where your setting is when it brakes.

9 out of 10 times the only fix is to literaly take the whole dash out then just about stand on your head in the engine bay to get the rest of the bolts out to remove it.

If you have a shop do it it cost $1000+ to have it done.

Dan, I was joking about the blend door, I never had it done to mine, but I have read and heard about it...

Jon, yea, I'm thinkin the sport does have more problems, like the 2-3 shift flare that has everyone telling me requires a rebuild. My philosophy is to buy a new truck, fix my tranny myself, because I know it doesnt need a rebuild, and then sell it and cut my losses (if i have any) and I'd be rockin a 5.0!!! I can hear my TMH already...

Dan, I was joking about the blend door, I never had it done to mine, but I have read and heard about it...

That's cool. Someone that does their research.:thumbsup:

Most people with as few of post as you have never bothered to read or search. They join & post a thread that has been coverd dozens of time & take up server space get there answer & are never heard from again.

Wow, such a stereotypist(??) you are...

I read, a lot, comment if need be.

Im really thinkin hard about this mounty, I think its gonna come down to how fast the bank can get me a check.

[Wow, such a stereotypist(??) you are.../QUOTE]

No. Just pointing out facts.
I really did mean the :thumbsup: for you doing research.

If I knew then what I know new about the 4.0 SOHC and I believe I have a 5r55E tranny but I am not sure (2000xlt) I would probably have looked for something with the 5.0, for the simple reason I like V8's.

before someone questions, I got a great deal on a 96XLS 2WD with a V6 never did anything but change fluids and plugs. drove it for 70000 miles never missed a lick, then my wife needed 4WD (she is a nurse and has to be at work no matter what) we don't get that much bad weather but a 4WD is a safe bet. So I traded my 96 on the 2000xlt which we got a fair deal on. I now drive the 2000xlt, she has an Infiniti QX4.

Back