5.0 AWD Drivetrain Conversion in Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 AWD Drivetrain Conversion in Ranger

oddball101

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ranger Edge 5.0
I am new to Explorers and I just (fool-heartedly) bought a '00 AWD 5.0 Mountaineer under the impression that it was 2wd for my swap.. So needless to say my entire drivetrain plan is shot and I am starting over from scratch. I wanted 2wd to keep it simple at first since that is how my '01 2wd 3.0 xcab Edge Ranger is set up. hten I was goin got work into adapting 4wd with the 4406 like some other have done. Well now Since I have all of this AWD / 4wd stuff stairing me in the face, I am looking for options but have been gettting mixed info as to what will work and what will not.

So here's my Goal:
I want to adapt the front AWD differential from the mountaineer to my ranger with manual locking hubs, while using the 4406 transfer case. I realize I'd be making driveshaft changes in lengths and that I'd have to weld on the third support in front for 4wd to my ranger, as well as get the sport gas tank.

And here are my Questions:

1. The driveshafts going from the 4406 to the AWD diff components won't match up in connectivity type will they?

2. I have seen adapters that can be purchased, but are there any stock manual locking hubs that can be used or swapped in with the AWD front diff for the Rangers or Explorers that will fit my application in my ranger?

A lot of stuff I have found and read refers to 2nd gen explorers but all of this is in reference to a swap into an 01 ranger with the torsion bar front end. So that being said, I do not understand how these different variables can come together in a straight forward fashion..

Really pissed at myself for just trusting the guy not checking this before signing the paperwork..

Thanks for reading

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just remember that the torsion bars are used because of the front CV axles, not a full front diff, like most of us are used to seeing. it has an IFS, so instead of a large "rear end" sitting up front, it has this multu piece set-up. however, there are write up's on here how to use coil overs even with the IFS CV axles. if you have read artound here long, you have read THIS... with enough time, enginuity, and money anything is possible. and perhaps not as bad as you would think, but prolly much worse than you hoped.

Oh and another thing, with AWD you absolutely must have the same gearing front and back, and same tires. even 1/4 inch wear between front and back, can cause damage/havok, on the AWD transfer case.

98 and up ranger front uni bearings and halfshafts and AVM hubs take care of the front and a front driveshaft from an expedition with a 1330 to 1310 hybid u-joint should still work.

You can swap your truck to 4x4 but thats a serious undertaking. If you dont love that truck id just find another one

I understand what your saying. The thing is, I already have most of the stuff I need to make the full conversion from 2wd to 4wd. All I need to do is install the powertrain from the AWD mountaineer, leave out the front axle and rock the "2wd-with-a-frickin-transfer-case" look for a bit until I figure out the details with the 4406 TC install.

I wish I could do something different other than shift the bolt holes in the motor mounts 3/8's of an inch towards the passenger side. But it is the best option out there for 4wd so I guess its something that is better than nothing right..

yeah I know the story, I am 2wd with a t case right now. Even with my manual hubs I dont both with AWD But I will be the first to tell you that it wont sit in park. The way the transfer case is it needs both drive shafts locked in to work. Mine will slowly inch away if its on enough of a hill. So make sure your parking brake works first

Ah, I see where you are coming from. I was sticking with manual hubs was to reduce the parasitic drag of the AWD or Live setups thinking it would have gains of a few mpgs, but a lot of people have spoke up stating that the live axle setup is "better" all around.. so I will listen because it is what I have right now anyways makes things less complicated. I like simple and reliable and it really does make sense to work with what I've got. I'd love to be able to rock it with the oldschool manuals but at this point, it probably be crazy for me to hold up on any progress to be made when ialready do have a working solution.

May I ask, how does your ride feel with the transfercase running 2wd, do you feel like your getting good power still? I couldn't see it feeling anything different from a 4406 TC considering both are turning a little extra mass within the cases and that's it. I'd also be curious to know what you get for mileage..? I'd like to know what I'm walking into.

From what I hear the AWD case robs power. The 4406 is a more direct. I want to do a 4406 swap but I just havent gotten there yet.

I get stupid good mileage and I cant for the life of me figure out why. I am getting low 20s but then again I have 3.73s, a good trans, 235/75 tires, as well as I do all highway driving.

Well that is definitely motivating to hear. Before I do the swap though, I need to clear up the issiues with the motor first. I picked it up knowing it had been neglected and needed a tune up. The motor has the occasional stutter (though it was had to tell from the wobble of the horrible alignment), some occaisional popping at the intake and slight backfires at the rear. All under acceleration. It throws codes for bank 3. So seafoam, plugs, wires, oil, vacuum lines.. What all should I be looking at for this kind of tune up?

You are on the right track, Do yourself a favor and while it is out check the harmonic balancer. they like to crack and throw all sorts of missfire codes

Good to know about the harmonic balancer being like that. The motor is unfortuantely going to stay in the mounty until I get confirmation on a location where I can do the swap. I live in a tiny neighborhood with regime fees because I am close to some nice areas. They don't much care for people ripping into things in their front yards here.. htough my driveway is long as hell and the end is hidden between my house and the one right next to it.. hmm.

Yeah I live in the middle of no where so I have random projects around the yard.

You are better off waiting till all the parts are in order and the homework is done

Also do a compression check. the popping and backfire, sounds like possibly burnt valves. or valves with excessive crud, that aren't closing properly.

Compression check, noted. That is a good idea and thanks for making that relation, I wouldn't have known burnt or mucked up valves would be responsible for that, but it makes sense. Really not looking forward to taking the heads off if that is the case but if it has to be done than so be it right..

yeah it's something you could do after you pull it, but before you install it. if it does indeed prove to have a difference in compression.

Okay, so I have a question on the suspension then. I need to replace the ball joints in my ranger. With consideration to the 5.0 (front) all wheel drive suspension I'll be swapping in, can I use all of the Mountaineer front suspension stuff and just replace the ball joints for that, or should I just replace the ball joints for my current suspension?

I know a lot of stuff is directly swappable, just not sure about the ranger edge 2wd front knuckles or hubs (whatever they're called) compared toe the mountaineers..

I am pretty sure they are the same parts, I dont think there are heavier duty units in the explorers/mountaineers vs the rangers. If anything the ranger would have heavier stuff being the truck not the SUV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually the explorers, mountaineers, are heavier, (vehicle only), and with the 5.O, definately heavier, than the ranger trucks. the spindles, ranger, or EX, etc. should all be fine. the biggest issue will be the Torsion bars. the 5.O EX's Mounty's, are heavier duty, than the rangers.

Back