• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Build+Swap

94 navajo

Reaction score
City, State
Granite Falls WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Navajo DX
Alright guys, i'm pretty new to forums in general, but i wanted to post a thread about my truck in case anybody is interested in reading about it, or has any awesome ideas. So here goes.
I have a 1994 Mazda Navajo, and i'm going to build a 302 and drop it in, not sure if i want to use the c4, or the c6 as i haven't really researched which is better, or if they'll mount to the 302, if at all possible i would love a manual. It'll be carbed, i like the set up better and it'll be simpler to do for me as i'm not a wiring nut. ;) Plus i don't have major changes in elevation where i wheel. :D
I've got a motor lined up if the guy still has it on friday, http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/sss/sno?query=302&sort=priceasc
it looks like its the perfect for a build and drop in, plus i like the idea of being able to put just the block on the hoist and putting it in the bay to see what i'll have to do to my motor mounts. haha.
I can make anything fit, its just a matter of making it work, i've heard that a 2" body lift is best if you don't want to do a whole lot of cutting, so i plan to do that, because i'm hoping to run 37's after i do the sas and add a little more lift:p:
I'll post pictures once i figure out how to do it! and i'll try and keep this thread updated so others may use it if they so desire, although i apologize if i don't have anything major to report everyday, i'll be going paycheck to paycheck! i'm sure everybody knows what thats like.
This is an awesom forum and has helped me a lot already in deciding what to do with my truck, and i look forward to everybody's opinions and comments! Thanks for all the help!
P.S. I bought the truck the way it is, not all together happy with the previous owners way of modifying it, but it'll be sweet when i'm finished. I like the chop top, just not the fact that the guy put plywood in for a backwall:thumbdwn:

Attachments

• Mazda.jpg
    Mazda.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

166430_1548249626370_1238966145_31249536_4352163_n.jpg

By far the most fun i've had with truck so far.:D

I also have a 94' Navajo but I have a 2wd 5-speed. I was thinking about cutting the top on mine after the rear seat and having a smaller bed. I'm looking at doing a Triton V10 swap. Or even a Chevy Vortec swap. I've seen several Navajo/Explorers with a 302. Not too difficult as far as I can remember. not sure about the transmission part.

You can swap in a 5 speed from the 5.0 from a f150. M5R2 I think it is.

I also have a 94' Navajo but I have a 2wd 5-speed. I was thinking about cutting the top on mine after the rear seat and having a smaller bed. I'm looking at doing a Triton V10 swap. Or even a Chevy Vortec swap. I've seen several Navajo/Explorers with a 302. Not too difficult as far as I can remember. not sure about the transmission part.

That sounds like it'd be sweet!

from what i m understanding, you are wanting a manual tr

oh and another quick question. what fender flairs are those on you rig. they look good

oh and another quick question. what fender flairs are those on you rig. they look good

I am looking for a manual tranny. i'm not sure about the fender flares though, they were on the truck when i bought it and i didn't ask. =P. i'll go look at em and see what i can find when i get home today though.:)

Update: The guy talked to me about the motor, i'm going to go and get it today if it all checks out, no cracks in the block and whatnot. I couldn't find anything on the fender flares though, which is kinda a bummer cuz one of them is broke and i want to replace them. ah well. get something when i get to that point. i'll put pics up of the motor so we can have a before and after!

They look like 2door bushwackers or custom fit.sweet truck tho;)

Thanks man! UPDATE: got the motor today, looks awesome, now i just gotta wait till payday to take it into the machine shop so he can do what he does and i can rebuild it, I'll post pics tomorrow!
:D

sweet ride. I cant wait to to see pictures of your progress. Ill have too look up the fender flares. I like how they look. Did you figure out what transmission you were going to use? Other people on this forum have used the world class t5 transmission with their 5.0 setup. For the automatic transmission, use a C6. That transmission is much stronger than the C4.

Other people on this forum have used the world class t5 transmission with their 5.0 setup. For the automatic transmission, use a C6. That transmission is much stronger than the C4.

I'm still not sure, the only thing i have against a automatic tranny is that i don't know how i'd make it so i can shift it, like most trucks the shifter is on the column, and i'm not sure if i'd have to swap a whole new column or just put a floor shifter on it or what. excellent suggestion on the t5 though, they're all over the place.

Alright i have pictures of the engine.

This is the 302 that i picked up for 75 bucks! the guy said its been sitting in his room all tore apart for like two years and he was going to put it in his mustang. i figured what the heck its all tore apart half the works already finished for me:p:
its just missing and intake and a distributor, both of which i was going to replace anyways. haha. quick question, i want to put a cam in it, anybody have any recommendations? Thanks guys! if i didn't have this forum going i'd probably never get anything done on the project haha.

Attachments

• 3021.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 453
  • 3022.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 449
  • 3023.bmp
    56.3 KB · Views: 427
  • 3024.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 456

from what i have read you dont really need an aftermarket cam for the motor. but then again it all depends on what you are going to do with the rig.

I want the cam so i can have more power when i'm on the gas going through some deep mud or somethin, cuz the problem i've had in the past with other trucks and this one is that the truck couldn't get the tires spinning fast enough to sling the mud out of the tread. which sucks cuz i hate havin no bite. not to mention it would add an awesome rumble. ;)

nice motor. it looks like a score for 75 bux.

Ok, i decided on using a C6 transmission, and a NP 205 T-case. haven't decided on the axle yet. Not sure if i want to use a divorced 205 though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Taking the motor to the maching shop on thursday, just doing the heads and the block this week, then next week probably i'll have him polish the crank and then i get a rebuild kit and start putting it all together!!!

Back