• Register Today It's free!

5.0 burning oil...sometimes

GT2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer V8 AWD
Callsign
Dora the explorer
I've noticed that i when i check my oil occasionlly it will be low. Sometimes i can drive for weeks and check it and it doesn't burn any and then other times i'll check and i'll have to add some maybe 1/4 quart or so. I don't smell burning or see any smoke, and i park in the garage so it's not leaking. I changed the PCV valve awhile ago which looked nasty and i think actually slowed the burning down. I have a few issues a need to fix on the truck that i didn't get around to yet, but i don't think they would be cause oil burning, engine light P0455, small vacuum line leak, other disconnected vaccum line from egr due to annoying clacking sound when connected, and some sort of small exhaust leak (i think the manifold), along with a rattle that sounds like its from the exhaust as well. I run Conventional 5w30 3k miles per change, should i try 10w30?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Total Miles on your Engine (how many are on yours?), Percentage of City vs Hwy Driving, Driving Style (Aggressive or Mellow), and Ambient Temperature all have an effect on oil consumption. Also, over time, 5.0 rocker arm design can add a little valve guide wear which will allow some oil to slip by when driving aggressively.

As for Oil Weight, I've always run Full Synthetic 10w/30 in both my rides, even though they both specify 5w/30.

I find this oil weight the best for my style of driving and the generally high PRK ambient temperatures.

Regardless, when driven aggressively, both my rides use a little oil - even with 10w/30.

For all it does, oil is the cheapest thing you put in your Explorer.

So don't worry about a little oil consumption, buy the good sheet, stock at a cheap price, and change it and your filter regularly. I stick with the old 3,000 mile rule - your mileage may vary ;-)

Hope that helps -

Occasionally I do get on it, to hear the sweet sound of a 5.0, so what your saying is the little bit i'm loosing shouldn't be too worrisome, maybe i will try synthetic 10w30 when summer rolls around and see what happens

Keep an eye out underneath looking for wet areas, leaking. Most vehicles have minor leakage, and usually that can amount to a noticeable amount per month. Mine uses over 1/2 a quart per month, and I think about half of it is from leaking at the rear seal and oil pan gasket. I have very little dripping, the slight amount makes the engine bottom and trans moist, so it's a small leak still.

Use full synthetic, and change it at about 5000 miles. That oil is much better than conventional, and can easily go 5-7500 miles depending on filter and usage. There should be no trouble using a 10W-30 everywhere but way way up North. I use that and if they made a 10W-40, I'd prefer that. Walmart and Amazon are the cheapest sources for oil.

I can look under and see if anything is wet but that truck hasn’t leaked a drop on the garage floor, since i’ve had it.

Past owners usually cause most oil usage. When the oil gets left unchecked and gets low, or run too long, or just dino oil used for too long etc, it slowly wears the cylinders and valve guides more than the best oil and intervals. Mine doesn't leak as much as when I got it, but I have fixed a couple of leaks(pressure sensor, filter block o-rings, and front seal).

Use a best oil of your choice, don't let it get low or go more than 5k miles, and maybe try a stop leak product. There are tons of choices for products that claim to reduce leaks or consumption. The type which mention the seals are about the only useful ones, they can slightly expand seals and reduce their oil leaking.

I ordered a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil 10W-30 today for $22.68+tax. Amazon is out of it, but I like to order more before i need it. Walmart always has something like it for under $25 for several brands.

I ordered a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil 10W-30 today for $22.68+tax. Amazon is out of it, but I like to order more before i need it. Walmart always has something like it for under $25 for several brands.

@ CDW6212R

$10 per 5qt Jug Pennzoil Rebate - Walmart applicable

PENNZOIL.COM LINK TO ONLINE REBATE: Save $10 Per 5-Quart Bottle

NOTE: $20 TOTAL REBATES allowed per household address

In my experience they (Shell/Pennzoil) usually process' my rebate within 6-8 weeks time.

I've noticed that i when i check my oil occasionlly it will be low. Sometimes i can drive for weeks and check it and it doesn't burn any and then other times i'll check and i'll have to add some maybe 1/4 quart or so. I don't smell burning or see any smoke, and i park in the garage so it's not leaking. I changed the PCV valve awhile ago which looked nasty and i think actually slowed the burning down. I have a few issues a need to fix on the truck that i didn't get around to yet, but i don't think they would be cause oil burning, engine light P0455, small vacuum line leak, other disconnected vaccum line from egr due to annoying clacking sound when connected, and some sort of small exhaust leak (i think the manifold), along with a rattle that sounds like its from the exhaust as well. I run Conventional 5w30 3k miles per change, should i try 10w30?
@GT2000
A malfunctioning PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve can often cause oil consumption. Depending on it's location, it may be exposed to a significant amount of oil splash. If valve cover located, or intake manifold, it may suck quite a bit of oil into the intake manifold, thus burning it as the engine operates. Replacement of the PCV valve may correct this. imp

@GT2000
A malfunctioning PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve can often cause oil consumption. Depending on it's location, it may be exposed to a significant amount of oil splash. If valve cover located, or intake manifold, it may suck quite a bit of oil into the intake manifold, thus burning it as the engine operates. Replacement of the PCV valve may correct this. imp

Very good thought, and there is also a metal mesh screen below the PCV which can get clogged up also. The PCV is very hard to reach at the back center of the intake manifold. I have replaced my PCV, but the rubber grommet and screen below it I didn't try to then.

@GT2000
This is SO true! Oil can get past a PCV valve and enter the intake manifold and be burned by the engine in large amounts and it wont even be noticeable out the tail pipe, or show in the spark plugs. This happened in my 1970 Buick 455 after I changed the intake manifold gasket from the steel valley pan style, to the composite regular style gaskets. The Buick PCV valve is located in the rear of the intake manifold directly over the lifter valley, and without the stock style steel valley pan intake manifold gasket, it was using LOTS of oil, took me a while to realize what was going on too.

So the pcv valve was replaced, not the screen tho, and another thing to note, when i get out of it after having got on it a bit or getting it revved up, i can smell a hint of oil, sometimes if i have the window down and drive aggressively i can smell it then too, so maybe it's what @fast dave said bout the rocker arms. When i get out normally i don't smell anything, but i do when i drive it hard. Also i have 144k miles and run 5w30 conventional, and change every 3k, but only had the truck since 140k miles. Should i switch to 10w30, and/or add something like STP oil treatment?

Don’t add stuff to your oil, and stick with the 5w30. If you want quality stuff in your oil, buy quality oil from the start.

10w30 is the same viscosity when warm, it’s just thicker at cold temps.

How many times, and total oil have you added in 4K?

Well, i got it at 140900ish so i did a change at 141k and it rolled over to 144 TODAY lol, so its change time now, and im not sure how many times i’ve added. Maybe a quart?? Maybe less, maybe more, honestly im not completely sure, i just added some when i was low.

A quart in 3,000 miles isn’t unheard of with that mileage. I wouldn’t worry about it. Even a quart low isn’t going to ruin the motor.

Okay, i'll just see as time goes on how much it burns

@ CDW6212R

$10 per 5qt Jug Pennzoil Rebate - Walmart applicable

PENNZOIL.COM LINK TO ONLINE REBATE: Save $10 Per 5-Quart Bottle

NOTE: $20 TOTAL REBATES allowed per household address

In my experience they (Shell/Pennzoil) usually process' my rebate within 6-8 weeks time.

Go to Walmart and buy the Pennzoil synthetic that will get the $10 rebate. Put synthetic in it all of the time, and keep it full or definitely above 1qt low(the bottom of the hatch section), and that can go 5k miles easily. Walmart has various synthetic brands for under $25 every day. Keep a spare jug, and filter, for the next time or adding as needed.

I use additives between changes, but none have reduced the oil consumption, so mine is likely ring or valve guide wear, possibly the PCV screen underneath. I just watch the level and add 1/2 quart regularly. That's the result of prior poor maintenance, we have to live with it.

Back