5.0 Cam selection | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Cam selection

Yes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, Because I'm going to replace my plastic one since the motor is apart. I didn't get because I didn't have a wrench to get it off. Any Cons to the metal fans? Drag, heat, etc?

Never had a problem on my '97 whcih came with the metal fan. Your plastic one will eventually break which is not a good thing.

Never had a problem on my '97 whcih came with the metal fan. Your plastic one will eventually break which is not a good thing.
No doubt it has a few of the stress cracks and this will be the best time to do it.

Have fun with that engine build, take your time and enjoy it. Clean parts are so much better to work with.

How long will the plastic fans last? Mine is near 180k now, I put it back on last year after pulling it to do an electric fan.;)

Have fun with that engine build, take your time and enjoy it. Clean parts are so much better to work with.

How long will the plastic fans last? Mine is near 180k now, I put it back on last year after pulling it to do an electric fan.;)

My engine was super cleaned when we opened it. In fact if I knew we would open it up again inside 100k miles down the road I would feel safe with the bearings and rotating parts already in there. There was a little bit of oil deposit build up on a few of the pistons. That was probably from the valve seal leak. The pistons are already cleaned , pretty much just waiting to get the heads, The custom cam (Flowtech finally got back in touch with me ;) ) The valve train parts outside the lifters and springs, a metal fan from the pull yard, valve covers, water pump, head gasket kit, header bolts, exhaust clamps, freon*, and a few other things and it'll be time to put her back together. Here's the flow numbers the machinist gave for my heads this morning. He said he's almost done with them. I am patient because I know he's taking his time with them.
Lift Intake Exhaust
.200 121 98.5
.300 169 132
.400 193 141
.500 195 150
.600 200 161
He averaged the max cam lift for .0525
A few questions for you guys though
1) Will I need new spark plugs or need to re-gap them?
2) With the introduction of more air from the ported heads & Lower intake plus the mill job for more compression. Will richening up the A/F mixture be enough to compensate the leaner flow of air or will I be forced to use buy new injectors?
3) Will The 5.0 Valve covers from 90's F150s work even though the oil fill is on the opposite side. If I understand sometimes they can be flipped around and swapped from side to side? It'll be a cheaper option for now to save money on buying Fancy spiffy ones. I can just rough them up and shoot them with some paint to freshen them up for now.
Theres a few more questions that slip my mind at this time but I'll post them when I remember. :salute:

You can still use 19lbs injectors, they can support a good 50-75hp more than stock. I'd buy a set of flow matched 19's anyway, I spent under $100 on a set last year hunting a miss(Accel coil pack).

The PCV system uses a hose that leads to the valve covers. It's at the right VC leading from the TB, does the F150 have it located there also?

As good modifications are done, the airflow increases. That means the existing programming will result in a leaner mixture, and needs more fuel programmed for it.;)

You can still use 19lbs injectors, they can support a good 50-75hp more than stock. I'd buy a set of flow matched 19's anyway, I spent under $100 on a set last year hunting a miss(Accel coil pack).

The PCV system uses a hose that leads to the valve covers. It's at the right VC leading from the TB, does the F150 have it located there also?

As good modifications are done, the airflow increases. That means the existing programming will result in a leaner mixture, and needs more fuel programmed for it.;)
Well before I take any valve covers off I'll have to check. There was several 5.0l Explorer and F150's at the 2 pull yards I was at on Monday. So I may try to take one off an F150 and go to the Explorer and see if it'll fit that way just to double check. You figured most of the aftermarkets anyways aren't made with Explorer's in mind anyways. So I'll check that out . Oh yeah I got the tuning issues planned for the end. I definitely did not forget to have my tunes modified and will be contacting James here pretty soon. In fact I honestly want to have the tunes before I even crank her up for the first time. My friend and I are aiming to get no CEL on the first fire. We may have to toast if we succeed! :D

Back