5.0 Cobra Into Ranger/Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Cobra Into Ranger/Explorer

RiotmakeR

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Hey guys new to the site. Lots of info, Love it! I hops you guys could help me with a few questions.

I used to have a 98 explorer sport and loved it. Now i have a 94 cobra mustang. I swapped the motor for a 347 and now have a 94 302 sitting. I really want to get an explorer or ranger but not sure which year is best for a 5.0 swap and has reasonable prices for lift kits. ( i remember there was limited parts for my 98). I like 2nd gen better but would buy a 1st gen if it would be more practical.

Any advice on what to get as far as being the easiest??
--1st or 2nd gen ranger?
--1st or 2nd gen explorer?

I know there are probably a couple threads for the 5.0 swap. Could somone let me know what i would need or post the thread.

Much appreciated!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would look for a `97+. Subtle changes cosmetically from 97 to 98.

Get a 5.0L AWD if you want to go offroading. As the 4404 AWD Transfercase is easily swapped out for the 4406 Selectable 4WD Transfercase..

Ryan

The only thing similar between a Mustang 5.0 and an Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0is the block.

The Mustang as you know has a distributor. Explorers have DIS.
Explorers use a 50oz balance the Mustang uses a 28oz balance. To be able to use DIS you will have to swap out the crank in the Mustang engine.

The heads are different as well on Explorers.

The front dress on the Explorer is shorter than the Mustang.

Thanks for the great stuff guys.

Switching the crank itsnt a problem.

As for the accessories, my mustang is a 94 which has a short front dress like the explorer, would that make me ok?

Would i be able to use the explorer computer?

also would the 4406 4hi/4hi/2wd tranny hook up to my mustang block?

Thanks guys

You will need a 4R70w transmission fron a 5.0 AWD Exporer and a 4406 T-Case. The bell housing pattern is the same for the Mustang & Explorer. You will need to use a computer from a 5.0 Explorer/Mountaineer.

alright cool.

As far as a lift kit. Do they make them for the 97+? i only know of one and its around $2,000 for like 3".

welcome

alright cool.

As far as a lift kit. Do they make them for the 97+? i only know of one and its around $2,000 for like 3".

Clearly you're looking for a suspension lift then? I'm sure theres got to be a few kits out there that are around 1200-1500.

alright cool.

2gen sploders are like the only trucks that look good with a 3" BL

also, if you can get a V8 sploder to start with, the rear should have LSD (common) and the factory "antiwined-up" links on the rear axle.

yea i was thinking suspension lift but might have to settle with a BL.

Im in a toss up with the 1st gen and 2nd. the 1st gen seem much cheaper to mod but i really want the 5.0.

Well, by the time you figure in the added costs to install a 5.0L into a 1st Gen, the 2nd Gen is WAY cheaper.

Ryan

Yes.

Auto w/ Electric Shift Transfer Case
Manual w/ Electric Shift Transfer Case
Auto w/ Manual Transfer Case
Manual w/ Manual Transfercase

It was also available in 2WD, with either a Manual or Auto Transmission.

Ryan

Back