• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Cold Air Intake? Which one!

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
I have a K&N Filter on my truck right now, and am wanting to add a better Cold Air Intake for my 5.0 Explorer.

What intake seems to be the best one to have for the 5.0 motor?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One word:

MAC <-click here

Not only are there not too many options for the 5.0, but MAC is always a good value and looks good to boot:

3659%20installed.jpg

How are these for water intrusion?

My stock waterbox has made my engine sputter in the past.

Will a MAC CAI off a 5.0 Mustang (95) work on my 98 Explorer 5.0?

Thanks

One word:

MAC <-click here

Not only are there not too many options for the 5.0, but MAC is always a good value and looks good to boot:

3659%20installed.jpg

I don't belive a mustang intake will work. I think it's set up to pull air from in the fender. The one for the explorer should work perfect. I've had it for over two years now and it works great!

Will a MAC CAI off a 5.0 Mustang (95) work on my 98 Explorer 5.0?

Thanks

A filter is a filter is a filter so you could probably salvage that from your old kit. The couplers and clamps would probably work too. It's the intake tube and how the kit holds the MAF assembly in place that's key. Unlikely that the Mustang hardware would work.

A lot of people have been building their own lately. All you'd need is a filter with a 3.5" ID on the flange, something to bring the MAF and filter together and a tube bent to the right angle. Although MAC's filters are fine, I recommend Amsoil's Ea filters. Oil-less! Just hit them with a shop vac once a year to keep them in working order. :)

There was a post within the last week here where a guy made his own 5.0 intake and it didn't cost him much at all.

I sell MAC cold air intakes myself. If you are interested I will sell you this intake for the price $169.50 + $0.00 shipping (special recession pricing). If I am not mistaken this is the only cold air intake available- not even MAC has them at this moment.

MAC calls me on all thier Explorer units and 2 months ago I purchased all the 5.0L kits they were releasing. If I am not mistaken (could be wrong here) even E.Express is out of these. I only have 1 left.

As far as making your own intake, ehhh that could be a toss up. Usually ill fitment turbulant air and bad design make for less than stellar results. Please keep in mind that these companies who make cold air intake have flow benches and also test each unit so the kit doesn't provide ill driveability or everything you just saved will have to now be spend getting the vehicle tuned just to drive correctly. Although most that have a cold air end up with tuning anyway. Either way have fun with you future performance endeavors. Glad you are on here!

Email me if intersted. BTW-the MAC kits are great kits, I have never had a complaint out of them.-j

Go with the MAC. I have one and love it and its also the best priced full set up you'll find.

How are these for water intrusion?

My stock waterbox has made my engine sputter in the past.

I have a K&N but it should be similar. I have an alarm siren zip tied to the bottom of my brake master cylinder. I went through water high enough one time to get water in it but none got in the engine.

K&n sells a kit for 2nd gens too.. i have one and did notice slight performance gains/mpg when driven conservatively..

Go ahead and get the mac kit from james.. so far its one of the most favored cai product for the 5.0 :thumbsup:..

Id rock the MAC and you should get it from James he is a goo guy bought my Sct Livewire from him!!:salute:

Whoopd

Back