5.0 Coyote Swap into a 2001 Explorer V8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Coyote Swap into a 2001 Explorer V8?

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Sitting on a like-new 5.0 V8 w/ Auto Transmission out of a 2014 F150. I also have a 2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer w/ a 5.0 pushrod V8 and auto trans.

How difficult will this swap be? Should I swap the rear end from the F150 as well?

thanks.

Exceptionally difficult swap. The Coyote 5.0 is huge and simply does not fit without very serious fabrication.

Short list of space issues: Steering staff, exhaust manifolds, a/c box, brake booster, ignition coils, radiator, FEAD.

Do it. That would be a beyond awesome swap. But I do agree it's not going to be easy.

Lots of Mustang guys are swapping them into the New Edge body. There are some management systems out made to run the engines in different vehicles like the early Mustang. There will be all sorts of hurtles to overcome though like getting your gauges to work and such. Probably easier to just go aftermarket gauges.

Good luck. It's a very wide engine and is going to try to occupy space already taken up by things that can't really be moved.

Swapping into the new edge isn't very difficult since they are already equipped with an engine the same size.

Back