5.0 crank dampener squeak

Ford_Racing_Guy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spencer, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT & '98 XLT AWD
Anyone every had this? I originally thought it was a waterpump and idler pulley issue as the bearings were noisy and had play but after replacing them and the tensioner/belt i still have a squeak that goes away once I've run it for 10 min or so. I thought maybe i had an issue with the grooves on the crank pulley so i took the belt off and checked the grooves and i decided to run it without the belt and the squeak is still there so I'm guessing the dampener is on its way out but its not wobbling at all. Anyone ever have this issue with any engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cam sensor. they squeak when they start to go bad. also dont buy a dorman one, spend the money and get a motorcraft one

cam sensor. they squeak when they start to go bad. also dont buy a dorman one, spend the money and get a motorcraft one
Appreciate the fast reply. I took the cam sensor off to check it and it looks fine. The magnet is still attached etc. So i dunno. I do have a parts explorer i can take one off of to make sure

So i noticed some debris around the top of the cam synchronizer so i blew it out with air and then sprayed a touch of wd 40 on the top. Wiped it out. Reinstalled the sensor and started it......noise is gone..

The bushings down inside are what make noise after wearing for 10-20 years. You can spray some lubricant down in there to prolong the life of the bushings for a while. When they get really bad, the shaft will be able to move outward from center too much, and that will make it bend/destroy the top "flag" part, the metal part that the sensor is right next to. That destroys the sensor immediately too.

Back