5.0 engine problems

Mikey195612

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jasper, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xlt
I have a 2000 explorer 5.0 with 286,000 on it and having serious issues excelerating it seem to be losing power , backfiring until I let off the throttle, I have changed the cam position sensor, throttle sensor, crank sensor don't no what else to try any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any codes being set?

If I'm understanding P0320 correctly, the ECM is losing input from the crank position sensor. Assuming the sensor itself is okay, the next step would be a complete wiring check from the connector at the sensor back to the ECM.

If I'm understanding P0320 correctly, the ECM is losing input from the crank position sensor. Assuming the sensor itself is okay, the next step would be a complete wiring check from the connector at the sensor back to the ECM.
Do you think it could be the ECM

You just need a multimeter set to continuity or resistance and a pin-out diagram of the PCM connector.

Test for continuity from each contact of the sensor connector to the appropriate PCM pin.

If that all checks out, most likely the sensor is bad. Then I’d replace it and see what happens.

You just need a multimeter set to continuity or resistance and a pin-out diagram of the PCM connector.

Test for continuity from each contact of the sensor connector to the appropriate PCM pin.

If that all checks out, most likely the sensor is bad. Then I’d replace it and see what happens.
I need the pin-out cause I have replaced the sensors all ready.

I agree but I think that wiring harness is over my head
If it is, then you're far better off paying someone to troubleshoot this problem than continuing to replace parts by guesswork. That gets expensive and frustrating very quickly.

If it is, then you're far better off paying someone to troubleshoot this problem than continuing to replace parts by guesswork. That gets expensive and frustrating very quickly.
I know you're right

I know you're right
P0122 points to a TPS problem. Since you already replaced it, could be another wiring issue. Just a wild guess: have you (or someone else) unplugged the PCM connector recently? It's fairly easy to smash some pins when reconnecting.

P0122 points to a TPS problem. Since you already replaced it, could be another wiring issue. Just a wild guess: have you (or someone else) unplugged the PCM connector recently? It's fairly easy to smash some pins when reconnecting.
No not until yesterday I unplugged it to look at the pins.

First thing I would do is test fuel pressure
It sounds like a weak fuel pump
Yes I see the codes.
Clear the codes and see if they come back. The codes maybe getting set due to the engine running like crap from lack of fuel pressure.
So you need to rule out weak fuel pump first....then move onto the codes if they indeed come back

First thing I would do is test fuel pressure
It sounds like a weak fuel pump
Yes I see the codes.
Clear the codes and see if they come back. The codes maybe getting set due to the engine running like crap from lack of fuel pressure.
So you need to rule out weak fuel pump first....then move onto the codes if they indeed come back
I did that first it's showing 60lb

60lb is a little low, it is within spec but IMO a little low..............try pulling the fuel psi when the truck is acting up, the theory here is when the pump gets hot it gets weak and cannot keep up with the needed demand
Loss of power on acceleration with a 98-2001 5.0 is many times a fuel pressure issue! Now with that said:

Good job clearing the codes! The fact that they come right back indicate a bad CAMSHAFT POS sensor, which can also cause some crazy drive ability issues

You should move your coil pack and remove the sensor off the top of your cam sensor and have a look inside

Any chirping noises from the front of the engine? squeeling?

60lb is a little low, it is within spec but IMO a little low..............try pulling the fuel psi when the truck is acting up, the theory here is when the pump gets hot it gets weak and cannot keep up with the needed demand
Loss of power on acceleration with a 98-2001 5.0 is many times a fuel pressure issue! Now with that said:

Good job clearing the codes! The fact that they come right back indicate a bad CAMSHAFT POS sensor, which can also cause some crazy drive ability issues

You should move your coil pack and remove the sensor off the top of your cam sensor and have a look inside

Any chirping noises from the front of the engine? squeeling?
No none it idles perfect with no unusual sounds I'm fixing to go out an start on it again.

With all these codes popping up, one has to wonder if you don't have a bad alternator. The camshaft sensor in particular is known to be especially sensitive to "noisy" power, which may be caused by a bad diode in the alternator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With all these codes popping up, one has to wonder if you don't have a bad alternator. The camshaft sensor in particular is known to be especially sensitive to "noisy" power, which may be caused by a bad diode in the alternator.
I don't think so buti will check it thanks

Back