5.0 engine squeak: Not the belt!

torinoscj429

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer V8 2WD
Hi All

I thought for sure that this squeak coming from my 2000 Mounty 5.0 was belt related, so I took the belt off, and it's still the same, and getting worse! What do you all think this could be? It's speed related.

http://bob2000.com/squeak.mov

Ideas?

Gerard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it won't let me play the video but the most common problem is the camshaft syncronizer.

it won't let me play the video but the most common problem is the camshaft syncronizer.

I was wondering what that little bugger was...kind of a stubby distributor...

Can I rebuild it, or do I need to buy a new one?

Gerard

You need a new one. Might want to do some searching on here about aftermarket ones and some of their problems. I would recommend a Ford Motorcraft one but they get expensive. If it breaks you will seize the engine because this is what drives the oil pump.

You need a new one. Might want to do some searching on here about aftermarket ones and some of their problems. I would recommend a Ford Motorcraft one but they get expensive. If it breaks you will seize the engine because this is what drives the oil pump.

Has anyone ever just oiled the bushings? If this is anything like a distributor, it has bronze bushings that get dry...maybe some 3-IN-1 light oil or something similar?

Gerard

i had a loud whistle/whine under my hood- found out the air intake needed cleaned

These "distributors" don't have bushings, there are bearings in it which will seize up. If that's what it turns out to be, get the OEM part for your model(99-01) from an online source. Those are about $100, they retail for about $150 at dealers.

To install it you need a special tool. The poor man's trick is to buy the part from one of the parts stores that has the tool with it. Use the tool carefully to install the Ford part, and return the other one immediately.

Psst, Jon, the YouTube video there is gone.

I can't see the vid, but this is cool...

bob98lc2.jpg

I'm the inventor

I can't see the vid, but this is cool...

bob98lc2.jpg

Thanks for the compliment!

I invented BOB, the Bottom Of the Bottle Oil Recovery System, and marketed it for about 7 years in the late 1990's. You can read more about it here:

http://bob2000.com/

Gerard

Good info!

These "distributors" don't have bushings, there are bearings in it which will seize up. If that's what it turns out to be, get the OEM part for your model(99-01) from an online source. Those are about $100, they retail for about $150 at dealers.

To install it you need a special tool. The poor man's trick is to buy the part from one of the parts stores that has the tool with it. Use the tool carefully to install the Ford part, and return the other one immediately.

Psst, Jon, the YouTube video there is gone.

Ok, thanks for that info! I have a hydraulic press, so I think I'll try to replace the bearings in mine...save me $100...I'll take photos and post them for everyone.

Gerard

Got rid of the squeak! $0

Has anyone ever just oiled the bushings? If this is anything like a distributor, it has bronze bushings that get dry...maybe some 3-IN-1 light oil or something similar?

Gerard

I took the sensor off and put about a 1/2 teaspoon of 3-IN-1 sewing machine oil down the housing, and the squeak is gone immediately.

Well, that'll buy me some time to get a replacement and the tool.

Gerard

I did manage to replace the syncronizer without tool - just alingning by eye the flag with the sensor in the same exact relative position.
The part sold at NAPA didn't fit, I did buy a Ford one from one of the site sponsors - they have a coupon here on the site.
It's like adjusting the timimg on an carburated engine by rotating slightly the distribuitor.

This thread and the links in it will be of use to you. They could also be found by searching for "camshaft synchronizer". Link

I took the sensor off and put about a 1/2 teaspoon of 3-IN-1 sewing machine oil down the housing, and the squeak is gone immediately.

Gerard

UPDATE: I put the 3-IN-1 oil down the housing on Dec 11, 2010. It is now Dec 29, 2010, and I've driven about 500 miles, and still no noise. I'll keep everyone updated as to how it goes. Oil is certainly a lot cheaper than a new housing!

Gerard

That's great that you can do that, now come do my SOHC V6. I think I have a squeal early on cold mornings that may be that. On the V6 it's under the upper intake near the back.

Gerard

UPDATE: It's now February 3, 2011, and not a PEEP from the formerly squeaky cam positioner shaft. The 3-In-1 sewing machine oil seems to have done the trick!

Gerard

That's great. It suggests two things as I see it. First, the cam synchronizer does not receive enough lubrication from the engine. Secondly, you have found a location in it which you/we can add lubrication. That may be plenty to keep them going indefinitely, add a bit every once in a while. Good job,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All

I thought for sure that this squeak coming from my 2000 Mounty 5.0 was belt related, so I took the belt off, and it's still the same, and getting worse! What do you all think this could be? It's speed related.

http://bob2000.com/squeak.mov

Ideas?

Gerard

Or it could be a pully thats gone bad, just a thought

Back