5.0 exhaust manifolds back | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Johnwimber1

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Elsinore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer xlt
So I have a 1999 Ford Explorer that I’ve been building for some time now I did a 5.0 swap in it out of a 2000 Explorer and I need an exhaust for it I don’t have the cats for it so I need something for manifolds back and I can’t seem too find anything for some reason also I want too put an aftermarket steering wheel into it and I can’t seem too find a hub that works if you guys have any links for exhaust systems or hubs please send them my way thank you so much if you have questions please ask

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you get the exhaust from the 2000 explorer?
You can run the factory downpipes with the 4ea 02 sensors and keep the cat converters (you are in CA)
then run a custom 2.25-2.5" exhaust back from there

My personal favorite steering wheel upgrade is a 2005+ Ranger wheel if you get the right one it bolts on and plugs into the cruise control

My personal favorite steering wheel upgrade is a 2005+ Ranger wheel if you get the right one it bolts on and plugs into the cruise control
I assume that works on the '99 Ranger as well? That sounds like an interesting swap.

So I have a 1999 Ford Explorer that I’ve been building for some time now I did a 5.0 swap in it out of a 2000 Explorer and I need an exhaust for it I don’t have the cats for it so I need something for manifolds back and I can’t seem too find anything for some reason also I want too put an aftermarket steering wheel into it and I can’t seem too find a hub that works if you guys have any links for exhaust systems or hubs please send them my way thank you so much if you have questions please ask

Any 96-01 302 Explorer cat pipes will work for that swap, you don't have many choices there in CA.

:pics:

I assume that works on the '99 Ranger as well? That sounds like an interesting swap.
Yes it could work for a ranger in building a prerunner out of my explorer and I just did the swap cause I blew the 4.0

I was asking about the steering wheel swap.

can you get the exhaust from the 2000 explorer?
You can run the factory downpipes with the 4ea 02 sensors and keep the cat converters (you are in CA)
then run a custom 2.25-2.5" exhaust back from there

I can’t get them that’s the problem I was hoping for something that’s manifolds back I’m not looking really for ca legal anyways
Any 96-01 302 Explorer cat pipes will work for that swap, you don't have many choices there in CA.
i can’t seem too find any for some reason that’s works do u happen too know any?

You will have to have the exhaust system made
there are no aftermarket down pipes for a 5.0 explorer
And the stock 5.0 exhaust sucks after that anyways

Here are pics of the 07 style wheel in a 98 Ranger 5.0 stepside I built
171_140851_560000002.jpg

07 seats and console too
171_140851_560000001.jpg

171_140851_560000000.jpg

Looks good! Any wiring, etc involved in the swap or just plug and play? I like that a lot.

If I remember correctly that steering wheel plugged directly in
Other years will require a little wiring at the cruise control switches

Thank you!
I loved that truck
First one I completed here in Idaho
I still see it driving around town

I like that set up. I've bought many 1997-2000 explorers and that console is my favorite. I've learned you need to support the arm rest with a spray paint cap to relieve the stress on the back hinge.

Back