Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Single exit 70 series 2.5" tailpipe-rear cats removed

Votes: 53 13.5%
  • Single exit with 3" tailpipe-rear cats removed

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Other--please specify in post

Votes: 70 17.8%

• Total voters
I can see straight through it. 3 chamber performance mufflers are quieter. The part number you gave came back as a dual in single out 2.5" straight through design.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a dual in single out Gibson cat back exhaust. It's pretty loud around 2000 rpm, and makes a deep growl when you step on it. I got it for around $250.00 and it was easy to instal, only took about an hour. I'm very happy with the sound now. :)

Thats odd my setup doesn't drone, it kinda made me think it didn't sound good till I pulled up the lane at the shop and everyone thought it was one of the other guys in his mustang, I said BS and let my brother inlaw take it and do a pass out front so i could hear it, its way louder than I thought outside

I can see straight through it. 3 chamber performance mufflers are quieter. The part number you gave came back as a dual in single out 2.5" straight through design.

Oops. Well I would do something like a 2 or 3 chamber then. It would be better to use 3 inch tubing behind the muffler though?

Delexploder, what is your exhaust exactly?

You can do 3" if you would like. I think it is over kill for a stock 5.0. I went with 3" because mine is far from stock.

Well I'm preparing to build a 306 and will include an e cam at least, clean up the exhaust ports on the heads and some headers. Maybe 2.5 inch would still be sufficient.

Possibly, but since you're in there you might as well do the 3" tailpipe and not have any concerns about leaving power on the table! It won't hurt.

Oops. Well I would do something like a 2 or 3 chamber then. It would be better to use 3 inch tubing behind the muffler though?

Delexploder, what is your exhaust exactly?

Mine is on page 27 , its magnaflow 2.5 inch hi flow cats a dual in/out muffler and a set of there tail pipes for a ranger that i modded, and a set of 18" long 2.5 " in 3" out tips

Never added my pics of the tails

Attachments

• IMG_20131117_111637_233.jpg
    IMG_20131117_111637_233.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_20131117_111618_681.jpg
    IMG_20131117_111618_681.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_20131117_111637_233-1.jpg
    IMG_20131117_111637_233-1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 475

Maybe its just the pic but the right one looks like it sits out further than the left. Didn't I see somewhere earlier in the thread that there is a 3 inch tailpipe already made for a reasonable price?

Has anyone installed a crossover pipe on their 5.0 based Explorers? I've considered modifying mine with an x or H pipe and seeing if two 10 series mufflers angled could be stuffed in there.

Hey tekman, I live in blue springs, how about you? If you would be down, I'd like to ride in your truck with the mods you've done to it. I'm planning a rebuild and am interested in your cam choice and the headers as well as the intake and head work you've done.

Hey tekman, I live in blue springs, how about you? If you would be down, I'd like to ride in your truck with the mods you've done to it. I'm planning a rebuild and am interested in your cam choice and the headers as well as the intake and head work you've done.

Hey I'm in the gladstone area. Kinda on the other end of town but considering how many people on the forum with modded 5.0's usually aren't in the KC area not too far then.I'll have to keep in contact with you as I was actually gonna start a thread for a KC area Explorer meet when the weather starts to warm up. If you want and have any questions hit me up on the PM. Here's my YT channel to if you wannna see some vids of the build project.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TekMan05

Yeah Gladstone isn't to far. I have family that lives at your I29 and Barry road and we too up there all the time. I'll send you a pm.

1996 5.0 explorer exhaust

I have an almost completely stock ford explorer. I'm looking to do exhaust soon and i wanted to go straight pipe to 4" tips texas style. i guess my question would be is.. does anybody know how many cats it has and can i remove any without triggering lights. it is a 1996 5.0 xlt awd

thanks- Johnny

4 cats total. I'm pretty sure you can remove the rear one on each side without problems. Its going to be obnoxious loud.

If that be the case after i get it done I'm thinking of going with some glasspacks or magnaflows. Just depends on if i like it. thanks for the info. ill post a link to the vid when its all done

I'd go with the magnaflows. But I have nothing against glasssacks either, I'm old and remember when they were considered "da' bomb" hehe cherry bombs even!
I am looking for opinions pro or con on a side exit, just ahead of the rear wheels.

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

Side exit on the passenger side is not bid deal.. I think that can be done with a short enough muffler and a 90 degree bend after the muffler to exit before the rear wheel. The gas tank makes it nearly impossible to do on the driver's side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahh... that makes sense. Just trying to find a way get true duals. My exhaust guy says it is very difficult to get two pipes out the back with all the stuff in the way... lol and I thought the Tbird was difficult.

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

Back