• Register Today It's free!

5.0 foamy oil

ilikecheese

Reaction score
City, State
Superior wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer
I have a 97 5.0 and I was wondering what caused the foam in my oil fill we just had a bad snow storm in northern Wisconsin and I spent my night pulling people out untill I got stuck on a rock hard snow drift it was framed and at a pretty aggressive angle the front drivers tire was off the ground. It was buring oil at that angle it never burned oil before or since so I wanted to know if the foam was from running at that angle or leaking coolant internally the engine was in snow to the oil on the dipstick is fine and normal looking coolant looks fine to and I havnt noticed it go down at all

20191205_220833.jpg

20191205_220757.jpg

20191205_220723.jpg

20191205_220803.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see any foam on the stick. The shot of the fill hole is condensation and it happens.

you say it started burning oil...you mean you could now smell burning oil?
Snow is so much fun!

My guess is you have a rear main seal or valve cover leak and the oil was now making its way onto your hot exhaust

It
you say it started burning oil...you mean you could now smell burning oil?
Snow is so much fun!

My guess is you have a rear main seal or valve cover leak and the oil was now making its way onto your hot exhaust
I could smell burning oil and I know it was burning through the exhaust
It was only burning oil when it was stuck at a angle and hasn't burned since. And yes snow is very fun

like oil coming out of the tail pipe?

I'm betting you have a valve cover gasket leaking, I have one on my 2000 that at a certain angle leaks right down on the manifold.

Back