• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Gas Mileage Problem.

vonhanson

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Ranger
Hey guys, i have a 1999 ford ranger with an mountaineer 5.0 swap, along with the awd tcase.

i've been having some gas mileage issues. no codes either, i have had one saying not enough flow from egr, but it hasn't been on there the last few times i've brought my tuner out and checked it.

last fill up's i've been at 8, 8.5 and 11 mpg.

today i put a total of 160ish miles on, average of 12

but when driving today, my ultra-gauge was reading at like 11-13 with cruise control on, but at the same speed it would be up to 18-21 mpg as well.

i think its something to do with the egr valve yet, i have everything replaced but the valve and the hose that connects to the headers.

i replaced everything else out of maintenance since actual miles are unknown.

also done in the last few hundred miles.

replaced spark plugs
replaced fuel filter
cleaned maf sensor
cleaned throttlebody
cleaned the sensor on the throttle body(can't remember name)

if anyone have some ideas that would be great.

also noticed at 30 mph with cruise on, i was getting like 15-16 mpgs, but going 55 right after that with cruise, it was 11ish mpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 8 and the 8.5 are low, but getting up near 12 is probably where you're going to be at with the 5.0 if you're in cold weather. In the summer I get around 16 but when the weather got cold I dropped to 13, sometimes a little lower.

Was your mileage better than this before?

i did the swap right before winter hit, and just getting everything fine tuned now.

and yeah i'm okay with 11-12 right now, but i was also getting 15-16 and at times i was reading 19-21 on my gauge too, all with cruise control and not coasting down hills or anything.

When I first got mine I was getting about 13 in the fall. I put in new plugs, wires, cold air intake, catback exhaust, new tires (road tread), cleaned the maf and went to synthetic oil and got her up to 16. If I baby it I can sometimes get 17, lol.

Have you done a full tune up on it? I think you might be geared lower in the Ranger to.

what do you consider a full tuneup?

in the spring/summer once its warmer, i planned on a MAC intake, and getting new wires and maybe some type of new coil packs for the truck.

otherwise it has new fluids all over. just changed the oil few weeks ago.

I average about 16 mpg even in the winter here with awd. There must be something you're missing. I'm also in stock tire size, it could very well be the tires and shackles.

You sure your "ultra-gauge" is correctly calculating the mileage? Test THAT with the tried and true method of filling the tank, reset the trip meter, drive some, refill again, calculate.

Yeah i'm sure it is, i've tested the 8 8 1/2 and 11 mpg readings by the trip meter.

weird thing is once i noticed it like clunked, or burped.( i can't think of a way to describe it, it felt like i hit a bump in the road but it wasn't the road) and thats when i noticed the mpgs jump up on the gauge.

Bump up to the top, still having issues.

hopefully someone will see the thread and have an idea!

Bump up.

Yeah i'm sure it is, i've tested the 8 8 1/2 and 11 mpg readings by the trip meter.

weird thing is once i noticed it like clunked, or burped.( i can't think of a way to describe it, it felt like i hit a bump in the road but it wasn't the road) and thats when i noticed the mpgs jump up on the gauge.

Maybe a torque converter or transmission issue??? The torque converter will clunk pretty hard if the lock-up clutch is slipping, definitely can feel like a bump in the road (I know from experience). If that is not functioning correctly or your transmission is having other issues and slipping that can hurt mileage big time. Flush the transmission unless the fluid is new and add a bottle of Motorcraft friction modifier part # MCXL3 to the trans...

Hey guys, i have a 1999 ford ranger with an mountaineer 5.0 swap, along with the awd tcase.

i've been having some gas mileage issues. no codes either, i have had one saying not enough flow from egr, but it hasn't been on there the last few times i've brought my tuner out and checked it.

last fill up's i've been at 8, 8.5 and 11 mpg.

today i put a total of 160ish miles on, average of 12

but when driving today, my ultra-gauge was reading at like 11-13 with cruise control on, but at the same speed it would be up to 18-21 mpg as well.

i think its something to do with the egr valve yet, i have everything replaced but the valve and the hose that connects to the headers.

i replaced everything else out of maintenance since actual miles are unknown.

also done in the last few hundred miles.

replaced spark plugs
replaced fuel filter
cleaned maf sensor
cleaned throttlebody
cleaned the sensor on the throttle body(can't remember name)

if anyone have some ideas that would be great.

also noticed at 30 mph with cruise on, i was getting like 15-16 mpgs, but going 55 right after that with cruise, it was 11ish mpg

quick question. what is the MAF sensor

quick question. what is the MAF sensor

Mass Air flow sensor its the sensor next to your air box on the air tube with the electrical connection.

A MAF measures how much Air (in Grams) is entering the engine. It also measures the Temperature of that air.

What a MAF does

I just got 19.72 MPG on my AWD 5.0 Explorer. This was one trip up on the mountain with 5 people and then another trip of 80+ miles with 2 people and return of 2 people and 260 LBS of Chicken feed.I would never trust a gauge as I know the Toyota Prius's are about 13 MPG off,or at least they were on the early models.

Question. How many rpm's at 65mph cruising speed?

I question the torque converter is actually "locking" . Might be due to a bad TPS signal.

My wife has a '98 Mounty 5.0 AWD, I have been running Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas only and have been able to maintain 21mpg on the highway. In the city we get 18mpg.

In the summer my '00 Eddie Bauer 5.0 is usually somewhere between 14-16 MPG, have even gotten her to 18-19 on the highway a few times. If the numbers on my little digital control center ever went into the 20s I'd have a heart attack and crash. In the winter I'm usually stuck between 9-12 and can only dream of 18s and 19s again. Really wish that we had the option between part time 2WD and full time AWD.

I just don't understand my 5.0L last few weeks it was getting 11-12 MPGs, and then this last week it got 14.5MPGs, I did absolutely nothing different.

on avarage i get 8mpg's but i have a heavy foot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 5.0 EB gets 16.5 mpg average for 1/2 town, 1/2 highway.
I don't know if is just a glitch, I replaced the fuel pump recently and drives better and... it used to get only 14.5-15mpg BEFORE that.

Back