5.0 Headers options after removing IFS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Headers options after removing IFS

newstylecustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 Explorer Sport
I am curious about swapping in a 5.0 into my 99. I have installed a TTB D44 and no longer have upper control arms to deal with. Would this change what headers I could install if I did the swap. I don't have access to any 5.0 trucks to look at for comparison. This may have been covered but my search didn't find anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am curious about swapping in a 5.0 into my 99. I have installed a TTB D44 and no longer have upper control arms to deal with. Would this change what headers I could install if I did the swap. I don't have access to any 5.0 trucks to look at for comparison. This may have been covered but my search didn't find anything.

you swapped a TTB into an IFS Ex? I'd like to see some pics of that and a little on how you did it

Check out this webpage. Please refrain from telling me how bad my fabrication is, I am well aware that it is not pretty. The whole truck was built for about $3000 including the cost of the truck.

It has been on for 3 years and 30k miles.

So regarding the question I posed earlier I have more room above frame rails since there are no upper control arms there but I don't know if this helps with the header situation or not.

Check out this webpage. Please refrain from telling me how bad my fabrication is, I am well aware that it is not pretty. The whole truck was built for about $3000 including the cost of the truck.

It has been on for 3 years and 30k miles.

So regarding the question I posed earlier I have more room above frame rails since there are no upper control arms there but I don't know if this helps with the header situation or not.

Was not planning on ragging on your fab skills, Looks like good work to me! I have never seen this swap before is all! very cool, did you go with a TTB to be unique? I would guess without the upper CA mounts and shock towers it would afford more room for a more traditional style header. Maybe something from a 5.0 ranger swap? I'm thinking Mustang long tubes may not give enough drop?

The problem with every other header (mustang, f150, mark7) is they come out exactly where the frame rails are. They need to fit super tight to the block and no other 302 header does that.

On the drivers side the steering shaft is the main thing in the way on IFS trucks. On the passenger side the outlet needs to exit facing the ground before the trans to get around the firewall unless you have a body lift.

Was not planning on ragging on your fab skills, Looks like good work to me! I have never seen this swap before is all! very cool, did you go with a TTB to be unique? I would guess without the upper CA mounts and shock towers it would afford more room for a more traditional style header. Maybe something from a 5.0 ranger swap? I'm thinking Mustang long tubes may not give enough drop?

I did the TTB for sevaral reasons, I had a free TTB front end most of it anyway. I wanted a lower ride height with big travel. I have about 8" of up travel and the truck is only about 4" higher than stock. It also rides great and I don't have to worry about the geometry of a track bar vs draglink like the SAS guys do. Also the TTB D44 third member is removable vs having to regear a strait axle, I just found a third member in the junk yard from an 80s F250 and bolted it in.

I have done a few ibeam v8 swaps and the frame rails are not boxed on those trucks so there is more room.

The problem with every other header (mustang, f150, mark7) is they come out exactly where the frame rails are. They need to fit super tight to the block and no other 302 header does that.

On the drivers side the steering shaft is the main thing in the way on IFS trucks. On the passenger side the outlet needs to exit facing the ground before the trans to get around the firewall unless you have a body lift.

This is the info I really needed to hear. I have used Hedman swap headers (that would exit just as you mentioned) on a Ibeam truck, but they are poor quality, thin flanges.

I wonder if a block hugger made for hot rods would work. Maybe these https://www.sandersonheaders.com/sa...k-ford-221-302-header-set.html?category_id=33 except they say they don't clear GT-40P heads.

I think the motor mounts or the narrowness of the frame rails in that area will keep those from working.

I used the headman headers for a 60s falcon on mine... Passenger side is a little pointed up but if you move the heat shield with a hammer it works. Of course you'll need custom exhaust all the way back. Nice build btw ttb is different and I like it haha

I used the headman headers for a 60s falcon on mine... Passenger side is a little pointed up but if you move the heat shield with a hammer it works. Of course you'll need custom exhaust all the way back. Nice build btw ttb is different and I like it haha

This is the news I was looking for! Do you happen to have any pics? Did it clear the frame rail on the passenger side without notching? Do you have a part number for the headers?

No notching needed.... part number is 88400. For anyone else curious these will not fit at all with the ifs, and require hammering of passenger heat shield and the drivers heat shield needs to be shortened

No notching needed.... part number is 88400. For anyone else curious these will not fit at all with the ifs, and require hammering of passenger heat shield and the drivers heat shield needs to be shortened

Just found them on Summit. Have you had any issues with the flanges leaking? I have put hedmans on a Bronco II with a 5.0 swap and the exhaust gaskets failed frequently. I blamed the thin 1/4" flanges since they tend to move around when heat cycled as opposed the thicker flanges that have more even distribution of clamping force.

Just put them on and drove it for the first time last week... No leakin yet, but you will need different collector bolts. The ones with the headers bend and come loose it was very irritating

Just put them on and drove it for the first time last week... No leakin yet, but you will need different collector bolts. The ones with the headers bend and come loose it was very irritating

Ok, do you have any pictures of your build? What steering box did you use?

I just realized your info says you have a 96 which would have Gt-40 heads, so they probably don't fit GT-40P heads.

I used a fj80 steering box. Not sure of the difference in heads I'll take some pictures for you after work

That would be great. I was considering a toyota steering box since that gets rid of the all the issues with the oil filter clearance and steering shaft problems. I don't know how hard they are to find in the junkyards.

Any luck on those pictures?

I have done a lot of searching and most everyone says those Hedman's don't clear the GT-40p spark plugs without some work. Problem is I can't find any pics of how much work, I don't want to cut apart and rebuild.

I think I am going to try some GT-40P specific headers made for a 60's Falcon/Mustang.

This leads me to the next issue of EGR delete since there will be no place to connect the external EGR pipe to. The Mountaineer I just bought has no exhaust right now so I won't have cats either. I know it will need a tune but any other issues I can expect from these changes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no tune on mine. The explorers are self learning from what I've been told. Also I'm pretty sure I have gt40 heads cause my plugs are super crooked. Still trying to figure out how to post pictures. Also mine has the egr internal so no help there sorry

Back