5.0 Headers problems with Torque Monster and OBX | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Headers problems with Torque Monster and OBX

AWD302Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger
Hey guys,

First post, but long time user of the site. I have been saving up and collecting parts to make a stick shift AWD 331 Ranger for quite some time now, but I keep having the same issue... HEADERS!!! I have literally spent years randomly contacting Torque Monster with nothing but poor customer service the entire way. From being lied to by Erica to even recently being ignored by Bob. Bob contacted me via email months ago to say hes back in charge of customer service and things will be different now. Except they aren't... The last email I received from him didnt answer my questions, but basically told me to deposit $950 into his account and he will send me a set of standard Torque Monsters. I have emailed multiple times asking if they will fit on AFR heads. I also have repeatedly asked if he has the ability to have a set made that is 1 5/8 primaries or a stepped design (as I've seen him do before). He doesn't even respond, but claims customer support has changed. All I was asking of him is if they will fit my AFR heads and if he would help me out by making a set of headers for my 331 that flow more then his standard version. I want to support a USA made product, but all he had to do is respond and I would have at least bought a set of the standard version(if they fit AFR).

This led me to break down and order a set of OBX headers as the ebay guy at least answers my emails. I was hoping OBX would have things straightened out by this run, but I received them this week and was less then impressed. The headers are plagued with bad welds, miss shaped flange ports, minor interference with the stock heads (not even close with AFR), and the #1 runner doesn't match up with the main header. I've attached pics to show the quality. The seller at least apologized and offered a refund.

Any way just posting this to vent a little about Torque Monster and show everyone the still poor quality of the OBX version. I wish it wasn't so hard to combine customer service with a quality product...

20180503_184144.jpg

20180503_163128.jpg

20180503_185044.jpg

20180503_185027.jpg

20180503_184316.jpg

20180503_163209.jpg

the obx headers are junk. if you do a search here, most people that have bought them have said that. most people dont get it. you buy a header for haft price that are made in china, there is a reason why they are "cheap". @ahodges has afr heads on his 347, and if i am correct that if without any problems. dont confuse bob with al's headers. i have never had any problems with bob at all. sometimes he might be slow at emails, but if you call him, most likely within a day or 2 he will return your call (he has for me and another member i know on here. hell, sometimes the call lasts almost a haft hour just chatting with him. he is a really nice guy to talk with). if you wanted bob to make you a special set of header, he would want a deposit on them because if you back out, then he is stuck with them.
i have TFS heads on mine, and i did have to clearance the drivers header where the two pipes join, but thats because the heads are thicker and taller in that spot and my tmh's were made for a stock p head 302. if you are wanting, i have a set of used tmh's for sale as well.

the obx headers are junk. if you do a search here, most people that have bought them have said that. most people dont get it. you buy a header for haft price that are made in china, there is a reason why they are "cheap". @ahodges has afr heads on his 347, and if i am correct that if without any problems. dont confuse bob with al's headers. i have never had any problems with bob at all. sometimes he might be slow at emails, but if you call him, most likely within a day or 2 he will return your call (he has for me and another member i know on here. hell, sometimes the call lasts almost a haft hour just chatting with him. he is a really nice guy to talk with). if you wanted bob to make you a special set of header, he would want a deposit on them because if you back out, then he is stuck with them.
i have TFS heads on mine, and i did have to clearance the drivers header where the two pipes join, but thats because the heads are thicker and taller in that spot and my tmh's were made for a stock p head 302. if you are wanting, i have a set of used tmh's for sale as well.

I read all the threads about people having issues with the obx headers, but then I read a few saying they fit and have a year or two on them no issues. I was thinking about doing a little fab work and re-welding all the welds as a lot of import guys do that, but I fear the tubes just splitting later on from being cheap metal. I was thinking about giving Bob a call, but never tried. I'd much rather run his product then china rip off junk. I just have a hard time handing my money over to someone who doesnt act like they want it. I'd have no problem putting a deposit down and paying extra if they were made as "off road use only" and met the demands of a higher flowing motor. Please PM me some pics of the headers and pricing. Thanks!

Back