• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Headers

banbro

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
My 96 XLT has been working on an exhaust leak for a while and it is now getting to the point where I HAVE to get it fixed. As long as I am going to be pulling off manifolds anyway I have been toying with the idea of slapping on a set of headers. Does any one have suggestions or recomendations for what type to go with and who to get them from? After I put my 31's on I can tell a notable difference in power so I am hoping to gain some of that back by adding headers and changing exhaust and intake.

Thanks all...

Brock
'96 XLT V8
Torsion/Add-a-leaf
31" ProComp MT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only set of headers I have seen for the 5.0 L Explorer is the SVO Motor Sport headers. Other wise you will have to have them custom made. I think that they add about 20 horse power.

There should be quite a few companies that make headers for the Ford 302. You may have to broaden you search. You may be able to use headers for a 5.0 L Mustang. I don't know for sure if you can do this, but I can't think of any reason you couldn't. If I am wrong somebody correct me. Well anyway, good luck with you search for headers.

If you have the old heads, which i think you do, you can go with the FMS ones through Explorer Express or maybe somebody else who carries Ford.

The GT-40 P heads do not allow regular 5.0 Headers... There are some in the Ford Motorsports catalog. They are specificly for the GT-40 P heads

------------------
RRORC US-B Region Rep(CA,NV)
Region - B (CA/NV) Website
The MudRanger
98 4x4 stepside 3.0L
3" PA lift w/ 33" ProComp Mudds
Chino Hills California ( LA Area )
4x4@greatimage.com
Dead Link Removed
sigsticker.gif

The only headers made for the '96, to my knowledge are the Ford Motorsport. I put 'em on a couple of months ago, and there's a definite performance improvement (even my wife commented on it!). Around town mileage is unchanged, freeway mileage is up about .5 mpg. I got the ceramic coated ones, and they look trick. When you take off the stockers and look at them closely, you'll just shake your head. Do it!

Pete

Sweet! Thanks for yout comments everyone, I think this is something I will move forward with and do.

Thanks to all again for your replys!

Back