• Register Today It's free!

5.0 injector question

fastpakr

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 4wd - 5.0/4R70W/BW4406
I'm waiting on a machine shop to finish sorting out the 5.0 from my '99 Ranger (swapped from a donor '99 Explorer). While it's there, I was going to have my injectors serviced, but I'm hoping someone can sanity check me. My build is relatively mild:
Stock block and crank
Cam is a Comp XE258HR-12 / 35-510-8 (specs here)
OBX headers
1.6 roller rockers (Scorpion SCP1021)
1" Edelbrock intake spacer

I'll eventually get a shop to tune things in, but for now it's the stock ECM. Is there enough overhead in the stock injectors to deal with this? Just need to decide between sending out my existing injectors vs putting in an alternate set as needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be fine, you’re not really increasing the fuel needs significantly.

Ditto. The stock injectors can easily handle over 50hp above stock. Many people have pushed them to 300hp or more. So for a mild near stock build your stock injectors and pump are fine.

Excellent. Thanks for the quick responses.

When you order new injectors make sure to cross reference the new injectors with the number stamps on your old injectors. Do not trust application only.
In November I purchased a Bronco II project that would not run. After throwing every part they could throw at it, they gave up. After checking the basics I came up with a hard code for the MAP sensor. After changing the sensor the truck would start, but boy did it run rich. The PO supplier me with the receipt for injectors he purchase from A.Z. I then crossed these injectors over to find that they had sold him 24lb injectors instead of the correct 14lb injectors . Every part store and distributor listed the 24lb injectors 🤔 as correct for a 2.9l. I researched and found a crossover for new Motorcraft injectors from Amazon for $105. Installed the new injectors and it runs like a champ. The PO spent $420 for incorrect reman injectors. Anyone need 6 injectors? 🤪

That's smart given the countless numbers of injectors available on eBay etc. I like that you can buy refurbished and flow matched injectors for about $10 each. But you have to be careful about choosing a seller etc. Find one that you think you trust, and if you send yours in and ask to have those serviced, you should have a good chance to receive a proper set.

That's smart given the countless numbers of injectors available on eBay etc. I like that you can buy refurbished and flow matched injectors for about $10 each. But you have to be careful about choosing a seller etc. Find one that you think you trust, and if you send yours in and ask to have those serviced, you should have a good chance to receive a proper set.
The other problem you have to be on the look out for is counterfeit injectors from China.
Also there are lots of horror stories about bogus reman injectors, you know, the ones that stick open and fill the cylinders with fuel causing untold damage.😡

Thanks again for the responses. My stock injectors are on the way to Derr Injector Service for cleaning and testing.

Yes, the source is key and a problem now for any products we buy not locally. You have to weigh the risks of the many businesses that prey on consumers, they are on eBay and Amazon in large numbers.

The same goes for engine parts, or for instance a stroker kit. I've browsed a few times for just pistons, for a rebuild of a 302 I will need later on. By threads on the Corral, I saw links to piston sources that I hadn't found before, several being forged pistons that are lighter than the cheaper hypereutectic kind I had "settled" on. For a $100 more, a top level piston is available that is top quality, very light, and comes with very good rings.

There were defunct parts sources listing a couple of those piston choices, but the possibilities were good. I also saw stroker kits on those sites, the best prices were on the poor reputation websites. Then I looked on eBay again for stroker kits, because the possibility was there before, to gain 40 CI for $400-$500 over a 302 build.

What I ended up finding, watching for later, was a 347 kit for $1295, sold about 110 miles from me. Their shipping is $95, but the description was excellent, that got my interest. Their kits include a nice 28oz balancer(not Explorer trigger wheel), 28oz flexplate, and is balanced. Those extra items amount to a good $350 easily. They use a Wiseco piston(top brand, forged and light weight), in a few choices for a chosen compression. I saw that kit as being within $500 of buying Wiseco pistons for a 302, for a stock crank and rods build. That's a good choice to me, for an engine that I would otherwise have to get tuned anyway. So when I get to it, putting an extra $400-$500 into it seems smart. That company also has upgrade services, for builds that need more rpm, boost etc. I would only elect their crank polishing, and proofing of the journal sizes(final steps prior to assembly). I haven't contacted them, but I would and ask them if they do block work also. I'd love to use a shop that does it all, and is close enough to drive to easily.

So yes who you do business with is very important. Take your time and plan slowly and well.

I generally buy my replacement injectors here

I had to go back and read the initial story. If the engine is out and the end will be the same compression, the cam and headers will be the only notable change. The PCM can handle those depending on how mild that cam is, or is not. 208/216 is a good bit more duration, a desired amount.

If the engine came apart, I'd have chosen bigger pistons, raised the compression. That would definitely require new tuning, and quickly. That would be free horsepower, but it does require better programming than the stock level.

I found a good source for a 347 kit that's about $1000 over the cost of a 302 build, minus the piston cost. So if new pistons are in the plan anyway, the 347 costs only the difference, possibly just $500 or so. The seller is 110 miles from me happily, I could drive there with a block etc, for machine work too.

I'm waiting on a machine shop to finish sorting out the 5.0 from my '99 Ranger (swapped from a donor '99 Explorer). While it's there, I was going to have my injectors serviced, but I'm hoping someone can sanity check me. My build is relatively mild:
Stock block and crank
Cam is a Comp XE258HR-12 / 35-510-8 (specs here)
OBX headers
1.6 roller rockers (Scorpion SCP1021)
1" Edelbrock intake spacer

I'll eventually get a shop to tune things in, but for now it's the stock ECM. Is there enough overhead in the stock injectors to deal with this? Just need to decide between sending out my existing injectors vs putting in an alternate set as needed.
Got a part number and price on them headers? Wanting to can my stock manifolds for headers but the ones I've found so far are close to 1,000

It’s not the only option, it’s just the cheapest one. You also get what you pay for.

I’d order at least one set of extra gaskets and keep a set of plug wires in the truck.

I always used manifold gaskets on mustangs bc they're metal vs paper/cork but extra wires i can see due to high heat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wires will be very close to the header pipes, close enough most people do get burned wires. Spend a lot of time routing them very carefully, and use the best heat socks you can. Go with high end wires that have the best silicone resistant to higher heat.

Back