5.0 L Windsor Engine Ticks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 L Windsor Engine Ticks

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited 5.0
So this noise used to be under power over half throttle, but now the ticking has started even when the truck is idling. Can someone explain what this is and if there is a way to fix it without rebuilding the engine and can it cause damage? Thank you so much in advance.

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 L V8
292,300 miles
Oil changed at 291,884 miles

Edit: Please remember that the 5.0 L Windsor is a pushrod engine. I do not have a 4.0 L Cologne.

Edit 2: Change Mileage (Missed In Brain)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A common cause of a tick in the 5.0 is a leak in the exhaust manifold. For the 2000, it could be the exhaust manifold gasket has blown out in a small area. If you look carefully, you can sometimes see a black area on the engine block next to where the gasket has blown out. You should be able to listen with a mechanics stethoscope on the each of the manifolds to see if that is the cause of the tick. On this forum, folks have shared that they have had cracks/leaks in the EGR tube that has caused ticking. It could also be a crack in the exhaust manifold but this is more common in the older tubular style manifolds.

Of course, at 293,000 miles, it could be something else internal to the engine but the exhaust tick is pretty common.
There are quite a few threads on this forum about the exhaust tick as well as the repair, which can be a lot of fun, especially the passenger side down comer inside bolt.

A common cause of a tick in the 5.0 is a leak in the exhaust manifold. For the 2000, it could be the exhaust manifold gasket has blown out in a small area. If you look carefully, you can sometimes see a black area on the engine block next to where the gasket has blown out. You should be able to listen with a mechanics stethoscope on the each of the manifolds to see if that is the cause of the tick. On this forum, folks have shared that they have had cracks/leaks in the EGR tube that has caused ticking. It could also be a crack in the exhaust manifold but this is more common in the older tubular style manifolds.

Of course, at 293,000 miles, it could be something else internal to the engine but the exhaust tick is pretty common.
There are quite a few threads on this forum about the exhaust tick as well as the repair, which can be a lot of fun, especially the passenger side down comer inside bolt.

I have looked at the exhaust manifolds before and have seen nothing. If you keep the engine RPM high for about 2 minutes the ticking goes back to under power only for about 2 days.

You often can’t see anything with the exhaust manifolds. Is it worse when the vehicle is first started?

What do you mean by high rpm? That sounds like maybe a sticking lifter. I’d run sea foam in the crank for a few days and then change the oil.

You often can’t see anything with the exhaust manifolds. Is it worse when the vehicle is first started?

What do you mean by high rpm? That sounds like maybe a sticking lifter. I’d run sea foam in the crank for a few days and then change the oil.

If you run the engine under power above the RPM the transmission wants, example is putting it in 1st or 2nd instead of drive, the ticking stops below 1500 RPM.

Please look at the edit on the original post.

Engine "ticks" that appear only when the engine is cold, or only when under load like accelerating are usually related to an exhaust leak, most commonly a leak at the exhaust manifold to cylinder head location, but can also be a cracked manifold, or blown out doughnut at the down tube.

If you run the engine under power above the RPM the transmission wants, example is putting it in 1st or 2nd instead of drive, the ticking stops below 1500 RPM.

Please look at the edit on the original post.
Not sure what edit I’m supposed to be looking at, no new pertinent information was added.

Not sure what edit I’m supposed to be looking at, no new pertinent information was added.
Sorry. I was on mobile and could not see your signature and vehicle. Most people I talk to do not understand that my truck has a pushrod engine and say it isn't possible, so I just like to clarify and forgot to. Extremely sorry.

The exhaust is the most likely kind of ticking noise of a SBF, besides the normal lifter noise most have after 150k miles etc. If it's not loud or a harsh clatter etc, then it's probably one of these minor no harm noises. If it is loud sometimes, you might record it and post it here.

Sorry. I was on mobile and could not see your signature and vehicle. Most people I talk to do not understand that my truck has a pushrod engine and say it isn't possible, so I just like to clarify and forgot to. Extremely sorry.
No worries. You can definitely get lifter tick, and if you can make it go away for a few days I’d not think it was exhaust related. I’d out seafoam in and I’d run it hard for a few days. Maybe it’ll free up. If not, I’d probably source a lower mileage engine as a replacement l, before opening and trying to fix the original motor IF the body is still good.

No worries. You can definitely get lifter tick, and if you can make it go away for a few days I’d not think it was exhaust related. I’d out seafoam in and I’d run it hard for a few days. Maybe it’ll free up. If not, I’d probably source a lower mileage engine as a replacement l, before opening and trying to fix the original motor IF the body is still good.

The truck itself is great. The only issues are the ticking, the radio display going out and the O/D off light flashing once in the past week. I hope that I can buy it off my grandparents once I go from Carmel, IN to Terre Haute, IN and keep it running.

Here is a video of the ticking.

Definitely sounds like an exhaust leak.
exhaust leaks this loud are usually going to be the manifold gasket or a cracked manifold, or the down pipe dough nut.

That could be an exhaust leak or something internal. I'd play with the throttle by hand under the hood. See if you can get it to make that sound by hand, if it's internal it should sound a little differently than an exhaust leak. If you can't hear it under the hood by playing with the gas, then I expect it's the exhaust.

I’d have to say internal. Running at high RPM makes no sense that it’d stop the noise for a few days. Usually exhaust leaks are far worse when cold. Most cracked manifolds ( even cracked in half) will swell and almost go entirely away.

Exhaust leaks are weird noise makers, they can make many different sounds. Sometimes they can sound just like an internal metallic clattering etc. So I hope it is just an annoying exhaust leak, but keep digging and figure it out quickly.

I do have a similar ticking sound when cold starting the truck (1996 4L OHV)... it lasts only while the engine is cold, and even when it's cold, it stops when engaging the transmission (from Park to Drive or Reverse). Reading this thread made me think that it could be the same issue, but mine does not rattle while driving on higher rpms.

Exhaust leaks are weird noise makers, they can make many different sounds. Sometimes they can sound just like an internal metallic clattering etc. So I hope it is just an annoying exhaust leak, but keep digging and figure it out quickly.

When you step out of the truck while it is running it kinda sounds like it might be coming from under the truck. I will inspect the exhaust in the coming week and report back with my findings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have fixed a big exhaust leak just after the Cats on the driver's side exhaust. But now I have a leak on the manifold gasket on the passenger side. Should I take it to Ford or find someway to replace it myself? Thanks!

Back