5.0 Mustang parts for 5.0 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Mustang parts for 5.0 explorer?

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
hey guys.. i was looking at the summit racing catalog and in the 5.0 mustang section they had a Ford racing Cobra R EFI intake manifold that could handle up to 400 ponies? It says its a direct replacement for the stock pieces, the kit includes upper and lower intakes, throttle body gasket, and upper to lower intake gasket. I was wondering would this fit on out 1998-2000 5.0 explorers/mountaineers?

And the E303 cam.. I saw that in there and wanted to know if I could run the F303 or even B303 cam? and what other mustang parts are able to be swapped?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swapping those intakes would be like swapping a red apple for a green one. They're basically the same. Its a direct replacement for the stock Mustang intake (which is a lot crappier than ours). We basically have the Cobra intake already.

As far as cams.. you can swap any of those stang roller cams in. Heads too, pretty much any engine component but the ACC related stuff and anything North of the upper intake. No headers though.. but you knew that.

what cam would be the best for fuel economy? and which one would be better for power???

Best for fuel economy would be your stock cam! :D

How the cams go in range of power is:

e cam, b cam, f cam, x cam

Most of those make their peak power higher than the Explorer can rev anyways.. so they'd be useless with an EECV setup. Plus, you'd need to have a matching combo to get the best out of each cam.

if you were gonna get heads or intake edelbrock is great bang for the buck....if you do replace em, plenty of stang guys would take the GT40P heads/intake off your hands

forgot to mention, i think i saw somewhere that the stang TBs dont work b/c of the throttle linkeage..you could make it work, but its not a direct bolt on

Originally posted by Magicfan25
if you were gonna get heads or intake edelbrock is great bang for the buck....if you do replace em, plenty of stang guys would take the GT40P heads/intake off your hands

forgot to mention, i think i saw somewhere that the stang TBs dont work b/c of the throttle linkeage..you could make it work, but its not a direct bolt on

Yes we would.:D

A lot of people overlook the installation of roller rockers. The 1.6 FMS ones will not only improve power (with higher and more consistent lift) but will also improve mileage.
Don't know about any clearance issues in X valve covers, though. :(

Lou.

Originally posted by SVO LOU
A lot of people overlook the installation of roller rockers. The 1.6 FMS ones will not only improve power (with higher and more consistent lift) but will also improve mileage.
Don't know about any clearance issues in X valve covers, though. :(

Lou.

I have em in my garage. :cool: A few people have 1.6's with the stock valve covers... so they do fit. I'll get plenty of pics of my install soon!

do stock X's (V8) come with 1.6's already? Just wondering.

No. I don't know too much about it but I know they have stamped rockers. Which apparently are very different as they shouldn't be used with a performance cam.

But I have also read that the roller rockers will increase HP alone as well have better reliability, and a smooth run. So if you're tearing off your valve covers for some reason, and have the spare $400 for parts, this is sometihng that might be good to do. :D

stock rockers are 1.6's, but they are stamped and non-roller.

Don't use the Alphabet cams in an Explorer engine. I have a E303 in mine and it doesn't like to idle because of the lobe seperation. The E is 110 degrees and the stock cam is 116. If you look at 5.0 Mustang or MM&FF you'll see all the Cam manufacturers state for EEC-V cars and trucks to not go any lower than a 114 seperation.

If you are looking for a Cam look at a Crower, Erson or a different Crane. Crane makes the Alphabet cams.

As for your intake, leave it alone, we have the same if not better than the gt-40. :)

Many of the 94/95 stangers seem to like the Steeda #19 cam. There is an article in the Nov. 5.0 magazine about this cam. It has a LSA of 115, .480/.480 lift with a recommended 1.6 r/r.

Another option would be the Crane 1.7 pedestal r/r's. This would yield an additional 030 lift to the stock cam and should fit under the stock covers. Price is about 200.00 at Summit. These are the exact same rockers that are in the 94/95 cobra's.

Don't forget that new valve springs may be required should you decide on a cam change.

Bill M.

I'd be careful with 1.7's if you are going to use a chip. I heard the chip could lean the engine out too much with the taller rocker. Or something like that. Also, 1.6 rollers didn't fit under my stock valve covers. I needed to use some stang ones.

Back