5.0 performance chip ?s

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
what's an affordable chip or tuner that'll tune my truck, but not require the use of the higher priced fuel?
i dont want to get into usin all these custom tunes that cost so much.. and i dont understand anything about the tuning anyways

im wanting to get a chip of some sort that'll actually let me use my vehicle's potencial without having to use premium fuel or deal with settings and customization.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what's an affordable chip or tuner that'll tune my truck, but not require the use of the higher priced fuel?
i dont want to get into usin all these custom tunes that cost so much.. and i dont understand anything about the tuning anyways

im wanting to get a chip of some sort that'll actually let me use my vehicle's potencial without having to use premium fuel or deal with settings and customization.

Im in the same boat as you. Does anybody know can you tune it without using premium fual with the xcal2 tuner?

Im in the same boat as you. Does anybody know can you tune it without using premium fual with the xcal2 tuner?

Yes, you can have tunes for 87, 91 and 93 gas.

Remember, the performance on 87 fuel will be limited. You will get the nice shifts though.

diyautotune.com
the LM-1 wideband o2 system......those guys rock.....

is switching the tune on the fly? can do it while you're driving? do you have to be at a complete stop?

diyautotune.com

I just checked out that site and it looks like you would need to do a minimum of about 30 hours of research before you could even begin to start on it being new to all of this. But for a veteran im sure that might be better in the long run? I dunno, looks rough lol.

it's actually not nearly as hard as you think. you can plug it into your stock downstream o2 sensor location, or you can weld in a new bung just for the wideband. and you can watch your mixture through the rpm range, under load, etc....

diyautotune.com

I hope I am stating the obvious when I say that the LM-1 is not a chip. It is a wideband 02 sensor that will allow a skilled tuner to be able to modify your a/f's based upon the information logged from it. This guy is likely not at the point where he will need a wideband device. Most on this site will be just fine with a canned tune.

For the threadstarter... Contact James@Henson Performance for your tuning needs. You have the choice of an Xcal Flash Device, or a 6600 Eliminator chip. I recommend the Xcal for most.

You have to stop, it takes a couple of minutes to switch between tunes.

You are correct with an Xcal. With a 6600 chip you can swap tunes on the fly.

One thing I would like to mention about chips. They are prone to noise interference and are incapable of running in some vehicles. I see complaints of other dealers about this all the time in the SCT dealer forums. So I decided to put the theory to the test. I installed a chip (with a cable) and drove to work. Truck just shut off twice. I thought maybe I got a bad chip so I burned another and the strange thing is that on the way home it died in the same exact place although I was going in the opposite direction. So I pulled the switch cable and guess what, no problems. I drove for days on the chip, so therefore verifying that the cable and switch were the culprits. Also even more of a pia is that the cable has to be completely disconnected from the chip or interferance will occur. I am a sucker for punishment as I randomly try this test with different chips,cables and switches and have proved unsuccessful in all attempts.

I have several local Mustang customers which sucessfully run the chip but I believe since the computer is located in the passenger kick panel this eliminates alot of radio interference. Now onto the Gen2 Ex. The computer is located on the firewall and the cable has to go over the antenna (no matter how you route it). I believe this is the source of the problem. Because the other vehicle which are complaining have the similar computer location and the switch cable is crossing the antenna or electrical wiring in mass.

Now the next question would be, isn't this cable shielded? Yes it is but unfortunately I have tried this several times and have had 100% failure rate on my explorer. I would love to run the chip on my ride because of the turbo and all I would have to do is flip my dial boost, turn the knob on the chip and I am ready for kill. The interferance problems have mainly been with trucks and non Mustang cars.

Another benefit with the ExCal2,ExCal3 or Livewire is that you will be able to be emailed tunes via email. So if the tune needs correcting or a minor change (for example-a gear change) a simple upload of the free software from SCT and a tunefile from your dealer is all that is necessary then you are off and running. Whereas if you have a chip, unless you have a pro racer package,chip burner or a SCT dealer at your disposal you cannot upload tunes to the chip. I really wanted to run a chip myself (as a SCT dealer it isn't a problem programming the chip) but all attempts have been unsuccessful and if I have only a single program there isn't a benefit to running a chip. Having to pull the chip,reburn and reinstall would take more time than uploading a flash tune. Oh well I will just live with my Livewire.:)-j

02 and up Explorers have a computer called PowerPC's. They don't even have a j-port to accept a chip. So flash tuning is your only option.

first off, how does the wire harness cross over the antenna? it goes toward the drivers side and so on.. also, what are you talking about having a wire running from the ecu to the chip? what's the point in that? or are you talking about a tuner?
what exactly is causing this interference anyways? i've noticed it from the cig plug and cb, is it ford's noisy fuel injectors or the ignition?

should i just go with jet for a generic tune?
id be able to use any octane rated fuel without having to change my tune or anything

bump

for the time being, would a jet chip be fine for a stocker, until i decide to get the rest if my stuff..

I'm looking at the xcal2 atm...

Damn everything for being expensive!!!

I think I might forget about a chip/tuner for awhile, my upcoming mods will be what are in my sig, and a safari bar n slimlites, long range 130w's... i cant wait til i can afford those TMH =D... and labor..

I wouldn't recomment a Jet chip for any reason.

Now Al don't be biased. You know Jet Chips also do a great job of leveling the kitchen table.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Storled, check out snipertuning.com Your only planning bolt on's so all the drop downs will suit your needs. You can write as many tunes as you want and not pay for any more. You can also tune 2 vehicles with one package and you can purchase additional "bullits" to tune more cars for around $200 each. This is much unlike SCT where you have to buy a $380 box for each vehicle you own. If you only have one vehicle to tune, perhaps you can split the cost of the system with one of your buddies.

Back