5.0 Project update....good & bad news | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Project update....good & bad news

As some of you have heard. After 2.5 long weeks I started up my 92 5.0 H.O w/ only 53K miles, just to find out that it had SPUN bearings. The engine I had bought (from a salv. yard) obviusly had run w/out oil!!

This really pissed me off!!! For I was sick and tired of the conversion! (it really was tiring....for I had to get it done within a certain time) The only satisfying part was....It started up the first time, and my wiring job worked!

Anyway, my time had ran out for messing around with the explorer......

Things have gotten better though! A friend has allowed me to use his truck.....while I get things in order. (78 International Scout w/345 V8 and 4spd)
Luckily the salvage yard supplied me with a replacement engine. Its a 1992 T-bird 5.0 H.O. with 75K. I wished I would have used this engine to start out with!!! For example; its advantages are: Curved intake....that resembles 94-95 mustangs, Low Profile Valve covers, and short front Accessorie brackets.
I am really not looking forward to redoing the whole swap again......I have limited time, energy and budget.
For that reason, the project is for sale, THAT is unless I finish it first!!!! If I find the time to get the 5.0 in, I'll end up keeping it.

I almost forgot to mention... I made this conversion HARDER by deciding to totally redesign and update my truck. I installed a complete 1994 Explorer LIMITED edition interior in my XLT w/ leather option. Not only did I install the seats and other crap, I ripped out every wire from Headlight to tailight in my explorer, and replaced it with 94 limited wiring. (I took off the complete dash and instrument panel..... I'm not kidding there is not ONE wire left that is orginal on that truck!!!) I even replaced door wiring, engine compartment wiring, fuel pump wiring, etc, etc....EVERYTHING!!!)

What Im trying to say is......Keep things simple......one step at a time. Plan, Test and plan!!

Good Luck to all attempting conversions
Al

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya know, Kudos to ya fer getting it run... But if I'm not mistaken, but weren't you the one saying you'd have this swap done under 2500 bucks.... Well, this leads me to believe, although I may not have spent as much, I got the motor with zero miles... Sorry, it only seemed to make sence, to rebuild the motor so I knew it was goin in as a fresh motor..... Instead of gambling on a junk yard motor.
Pete

Actually that was me who said that the conversion could be done cheaper. I still say that it can be cheaper. So far I have $1300 CAN (about $815.00 US) into parts for my conversion and that includes the engine with wiring,computer, accessories, etc, rebuilt wide ratio AOD with James Duff Adapter (paid for adapter, swapped my A4LD for AOD) and hedders. I still need to make a Y-pipe and a cat-back system plus figure out what I will do about a fan but I will not be adding to much more to the cost. The 2WD Explorer conversion I already did ran my friend about $2500.00 CAN with my labour because he swapped all of his drivetrain for the 5.0L engine and tranny for his conversion.

As for 'gambling' on an autowreckers engine, sure there are some shady places out there but there are also some top notch recycling places that sell excellent used parts. Don't condemn this valuable resource of parts just because there are a couple of bad deals out there. My engine has 93,000kms on it and I know it ran perfect because I ran it up tested it and pulled it all myself. I also know that I got everything that I could possible need from the car when I removed the engine.

I suggest if you buy an engine from a recycler then make sure you heard it run and know the specs of the engine before purchasing. Get the oil pressure at cold start-up, hot idle and no-load high idle (hot), this can tell alot about the condition of the internal parts of an engine. Also get compressions and if possible a leak-down. If the oil pressure drops above idle, the compression is all over the board or the engine makes funny noises that don't sound normal then walk away and find something else.

I'm still under $3,000. (for the v8 conv parts, have not OFFICIALLY added everything up yet.) Not too far off. Getting an engine from a salvage yard, is a risky option. Luckily I am dealing with a reputable shop, they are more late model (90+)recyclers than a Junk yard. ( I have done a lot of business with them in the past, very helpfull. and they considered the top-notch recyclers in our area.) I already have a better 5.0. (replacement) w/vin #. When I informed them of the engne, they gave me an immediate replacement w/ no hassle. As Ive stated before......If I were to do it again, I'd get a donor car. I did replace all gaskets before putting it in.....not a complete rebuild...but it helps.

It's a learning experience! I make mistakes. Things will work out. Thanks for the support Speedfreak..... :)

I still coulda sworn asp84 said he was the one who could do it for 2500 bucks or so.... If I was wrong, I'm sorry, made a mistake, but I know for sure! Someone said they could do it fer cheap!
Pete

At the beginning of the project, in September I said, I was "HOPING to do it for 2500"
(I did a lot of updating that was not related to the v8 conversion....that did cost a lot)

Trans/Exhaust/headers/A.A. kit/RmtOil: $900
shipping: $250
Engine: $700 (replacement free)
Misc Parts/wiring/cmptr/gaskets/etc Brackets: $600
-------------> =$2500
I am actually BELOW my projected average when it comes to engine PARTS costs.
What I spent a lot of money on, was updating the interior, 80 mile round trip drive to the shop I was working at it on, towing costs, etc,etc, etc.

RFR2212 ...... I dont understand what your getting at? Did I contradict something I said?
I totally agree with you on putting a zero mile engine in your truck. If I had the time and money and would have bought a 96+ Explorer V8 and really done it right...... I could have dumped 10,000 dollars in to this project. ITS UP TO YOU HOW FAR TO TAKE IT! I tried to keep things as simple as possible. (find low mileage that would not need rebuilding) My trans is freshly rebuilt by the way.

Al

all50.jpg

Contradict anything? Nope! I wasn't sure who said they were doing the, or planning on the $2500 or less V-8 swap... Now... from what I've seen, I'm not complaining on yer swap. It only seems like yer motor failed (at least ya got it running) I dunno if this yard is trading motors... But in regards to the zero miles motor comment, I'd much rather spend the cash to have the motor rebuild prior to the swap like I did... then not have to deal with the unfortunate problem of the motor problems yer dealing with.... especially since ya got yer running! It's alot of work to yank out the old motor and get a new one in there, should ya keep it!
Pete

EDIT: I fergot a few parts of yer post, as I wrote this as I was gettin ready to crash fer the night, but, I respect your attempt as an extemely inexpensive and cost effictive swap. It seems like ya did it except the problems with the inital motor you swapped in. On a side note, this is why I went ahead with rebuilding the motor prior to installation.... So I didn't have to deal with this... and if I do, it's under warrenty as of now! So, hopefully it all works once I get it all taken care of, or should I get unlucky (knock on wood) it's under warrenty
Pedro

The yard gave me an even exchange w/ no hassle. (this is a rare occurence for them, I have bought a few engines from them before and have been nothing but pleased. The even let me keep both engines......most will want you to bring back a core. Swapping the engines is not going to cost me anything except time, and cut-up hands. :) I will replace all gaskets and have the oil pump primed before I put it in. (I'll take em off the STANG 5.0)

The replacement engine I have received is in good shape. The yard even drove the car in to the shop to part it out. It has the orignal oil still in it, its completly stock, it looks like the person had it serviced at ford dealerships, beacause all the tune-up parts have "motorcraft" on them.

If I had the knowledge, I would rebuild the motor....throw in a rebuild kit.......notice how I said "throw in". But, I'm better with the wiring part of the conversion, than the mechanical parts.

how hard is it to swap a 5.0 in my limited edition and what do i have to change to make it work

this thread is OVER 6 years old

:snort:

i know the feeling when you have spent time and money and things dont work as expected but when you have spent that amount of investment it is hard to turn back.
I am still doing my conversion of my 4.0 to diesel i have installed a nissan diesel engine and now the transmission is not shifting since there are no sensors .
i now have to look for a transmission and i have been told that the ford transit tranny will work with slight adaptation .
having gone this far i am willing to try but sometimes i ask myself if it is worth it and then when i see an article about someone else who is also trying amid the challenges it give me hope and i can carryo so keep up the good work guys and dont give up
When you are finished you will never be able to recoup the money spent but you will have the bragging rights which will last a life time .

Back