5.0 Radiator in 4.0?

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
I need to replace the radiator on my 4.0 SOHC and wondering if I can upgrade to the 5.0 radiator. What is the difference between the 5.0 & 4.0 radiators? Will the 5.0 bolt in? Can you have too much cooling? I'm hoping to do a V8 swap in the near future, so this would save me a step.

Arg - still can't figure out the difference. I thought at least the location of the upper and lower tube mounting points and angles would be different but it doesn't seem to be that either.

Here are the pics of the 4.0 SOHC and the 5.0 radiators from Spectra Pro. I also checked stats from Vista-Pro. They have the same dimensions all the way around but always different part numbers. ???

On another note, LMC Truck claims to have 3-Row radiators. Anyone know if this is accurate?

Attachments

• CU2174 SOHC.jpg
    CU2174 SOHC.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 662
  • CU1824 5.0.jpg
    CU1824 5.0.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 648
  • LMC Radiators.jpg
    LMC Radiators.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 917

Looks like the mount holes have slightly different heights. That could be solved by making brackets to attach to. Here's the specs of a 5.0L radiator. Hope it helps in your search: Link

5.0 radiator in 4.0 explorer

The radiator in my 4.0 explorer burst and I ended up getting a radiator from a 5.0 explorer and it bolted right up into the old spot its just twice as thick and the top hose is a littler lower down other than that it works just fine haven't had any problems with it

Back