5.0 ranger swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 ranger swap

Slow ranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 ranger
I'm new here and was wondering if anyone can direct me to a swap form that is similar to my situation. I have a 2006 ranger 4 banger and I want a 4.6 or 5.0 swapped in. Considering emissions, If I find a 5.0 it will either be 97-2001 and if I find a 4.6 it will be 02- 07. Im going 5speed and would like to know what all I would have to do to get it working with the oem tac & speedo, only have the f150 5speed and mustang transmission in mind, don't know about the speedo with the mustang 5 speed. I don't care about having AC so I'm totally fine with the 4.6. and if there's any 4.6/5.0 performance threads I would appreciate it if someone can direct me to that as well thanks.

4.6 is your only option if you have any kind of emissions testing. Can bus wiring will make it real fun to swap any wiring of an earlier model in.

The 4.6 will go in pretty easily, the hard part is keeping a/c. I have a 00 2wd ranger I'm putting a 98 mark 8 motor and trans in and a/c is my only challenge. My 01 has a 5.0 and was a fairly simple swap.

I would look into swapping to automatic because finding an 06 year 4.6 with manual trans will only be in a mustang and a few rare f150s. Crown Vics and town cars can be found everywhere.

Ac isnt a must for me lol I only used it in the 100 and stupid° phoenix summer when I had passengers. Would I have to get the ecu re-programed if I got the 4.6/harness/ecu out of a vic and hooked a mustang 5 speed to it?

Yes a custom tune would be best any way you go. That way if pats antitheft becomes a pain to get to work you can tune it out also. If you get an 06 or 07 harness and computer there will be a bunch of similarities between the wiring in your truck and it but there will still be a TON of mods to get the wiring to work.

Back