5.0 Rebuild cam lash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Rebuild cam lash

Giant97

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Greetings,

I got my 5.0 back from the machine shop (they did the heads and block). I've got it all together up to the valve train and now I'm sorta stuck. From what I've read I don't need to do anything special since it has hydraulic lifters. If I understand correctly the firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 and I just need to put it to TDC and then torque to specs the bolts on #3 then turn the crank 90 degees and do 7 and so forth.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

1998 Explorer XLT AWD

You are talking about bolting down the factory stamped pedestal mount rockers?

You do need to check a few things even with hydraulic lifters and pedestal mount rockers...especially if machine work was done to the heads or if you run a non stock camshaft.
I just went through this process on a 302 I am building, the procedure is exactly the same for you

I did mine on the engine stand, yes there is a way to mark the crank damper so you can turn it 90 degrees or whatever and thus putting the cylinder in question on the base circle of the cam. I don't do it that way simply because the engine was on the stand, but I DO recommend you check your valve train geometry/pushrod length to check and see if you need to shim the rockers or order different length pushrods.

here is the procedure:
410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

Back