5.0 Spark Plug Heat Shield trouble!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Spark Plug Heat Shield trouble!!

5.0L V8

Reaction score
City, State
Paradise,Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5.0 AWD
So I got them out in order to remove the plugs, now my question is...do I re-install them?!?
They are not going back into the spark plug port, has anyone else left them out after reinstalling their new plugs?!?!

Im talking of the "metal coupler" style shields.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't break them and left them as is. I think they prevent heat from baking the wires.

I managedd to get them pack in with a soft brass punch and deadblow hammer.
Do autoparts stores sell any sort of heat wraps or insulators for plug wires?

Yes they do.

How did you get them out? I'm in a situation where I have to remove it to get the plug out. Is it threaded or can I just rip it out?

What I have been doing is spraying them with arokroil and using a set of long needle nose and hose pliers I got from harbor freight, go through the wheel well

They are soft sheet metal. Only thing holding them in is a little tension and whatever rust has accumulated. Grab the edge with vicegrips and wiggle a little. Penetrating oil can help if really stubborn. Do agree that really not needed. If you want to protect the wires get these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR-GASKET-S...es&hash=item589aee5066&vxp=mtr#ht_2130wt_1141

There are lots of colors to choose if you want to make it pretty :)

I removed my shields with no adverse effects. Vice grips and a lot of wiggling.
As far as insulation with the 5.0L the O.E.M replacement wires insulation (silver foil) likes to rub through the wire then arc off the exhaust manifolds in a short amount of time. I had three sets do this to me in a year and a half and then I made my own wires, removed the plug guards and rerouted the wires. (So, skip the OEM insulating foil)
BTW. the arcing wires are only visible at night through the wheel wells and it sounds like a mild engine tick. Just a heads up...

Back