5.0 swap explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Johnwimber1

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Elsinore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer xlt
Hi this is my first post and I’m looking for answers I have a 99 Ford Explorer xlt with the sohc 4.0 and 4r55e trans 2wd this is currently a prerunner build I’m doing and I blew the motor in it so I’m looking too 5.0 swap it from what I know it’s bolt in mostly but I’m hoping someone could give me a list of everything I need in order too do this swap and if the transmission is bolt on because I just built a stage 2 4r55e for it and I don’t want too change the trans unless needed any questions please ask thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your transmission will not work, you’ll need a 4r70w (or an AOD family trans) The 4r55e wouldn’t last anyways. You’ll also need the ECU, and the PATS components from the donor, unless you pay a tuner to delete them.

There’s not really step by step guide, as these changed almost yearly. You’ll need to change some of the connector pin outs as well.

Your transmission will not work, you’ll need a 4r70w (or an AOD family trans) The 4r55e wouldn’t last anyways. You’ll also need the ECU, and the PATS components from the donor, unless you pay a tuner to delete them.

There’s not really step by step guide, as these changed almost yearly. You’ll need to change some of the connector pin outs as well.
Thank you so much for the info do you happen too know what year 5.0 is the best and easiest I know they changed a lot

Is this gonna be a CA smogged vehicle? Going with a 97 setup will bypass PATS. Going with a later setup (99 up?) has a slightly updated transmission.

Back