• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Swap Throttle Cable

USAFEXPLORER

Reaction score
City, State
Surprise, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
So what is everyone using for a 5.0 swap throttle cable with a mustang throttle body? I believe the linkage is different on the Mustang TB than the Explorer TB. Any input is appreciated.

(BTW- Yes I tried the search, nothing specific after an hour of searching so I'm trying a post) :)

It will take some modifying , but you can make it work.
I used the explorer cable, and bracket, which had to be cut. I still need to have a good bracket fabricated
The ball connector on throttle body needs to be either cut off and welded on to accept a pull from front cable, or like I did and bend it up 180 degress, pointing the ball toward throttle body. This does not allow enough room for the cruise control cable.
look in this thread, there is a pic although not that great

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162923&highlight=vacuum+diagram

I am using a mustang type intake with the 94-95 egr elbow, BBK throttle body, and let me tell you the egr clearance is tight. It drives around fine, could be way better though. Are you using the stock explorer intake and elbow? If so, it will be much easier.

I am using the stock '96 Explorer Intake, with a TB Spacer, but no elbow. I wanted the internal egr set up. I have seen aftermarket throttle cable sets that you can make your cable/linkage and thought about maybe going that route. I know Lokar has various kits available, just a thought.

I think every conversion I have seen has done something different with the throttle cables. My BII used the explorer intakes and the stock explorer throttle cable.
But typically you will need to weld up a bracket to make your cable/ a mustang cable/ or explorer cable work.

Back