Completed Project - 5.0 swap - w/ 4406 | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 5.0 swap - w/ 4406

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
basically the same. When I first mash the peddle the A/F goes to high 12s and then as the rpms pick up it goes towards the upper 14s. I emailed James this last night and he didn't respond today. Idk what to do. I'm trying to find a fuel pressure gauge kit for the 5.0 but haven't had time to look hard yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a fuel pressure gauge installed. Idling and normal driving (under 3k rpms) the pressure hovers around 30-35 psi. When I stand on it the pressure steadily drops down towards 10 psi. I don't know if it goes lower than that because I didn't try. I'd say I found the problem, now the question is what is causing it. It does the same with the vacuum line hooked up to the regulator or not.

Okay, that helps a lot to figure it out, let off the gas when the pressure drops below about 30psi.

First double check all of the fuel lines that you can see. Be sure that nothing has pinched one, and that the lines look intact and not crushed/bent at any point.

Then it's time to drop the tank and double check those lines above it, and the rubber one on the assembly. Inspect the fuel pump sock to see if it looks like anything has clogged it, or that it's not shaped right to fit the pump or lay under the pump well.

If everything checks out, then all I think that's left is the pump and the sizes of the lines. Nobody has suggested that the lines could be too restrictive for a mid power range, 350-450hp.

So if it comes to that point, I'd bet on the pump before the lines. I'd disconnect the fuel lines at the engine, and blow through those.

I would expect your engine to be in the 450-500hp range, depending on what boost level the Eaton is making. It's unlikely that the power is much higher and consuming so much fuel that the lines are too small.

First check the other items carefully.

Thanks. I checked all the fuel lines already and I don't see anything alarming on them. The intermediate fuel lines conecting the main truck lines to the fuel rails have a couple dents (I think they aren't manufactured) but not very deep. I think its that canister that they used on the 95's and 96's that's giving me the problem. I'm dropping the tank tonight so it will be ready to go back in tomorrow when I get the new pump (A GSS342). I already got the new ford sending unit assembly to get rid of that canister style one.

I have read about the 95/96 tank assembly being different, but I have not see one. Please post a picture if you can, I'm curious about what those were about.

Since you mentioned a dented line, can you take a picture of the main line there if it's dented too? The lines are only 5/16" and 1/4" in size, barely big enough for what many people do to their cars.

My main SS flex line at my tank fitting is barely intact, from someone before me fighting the fitting to make it let go. I will have to replace that line before doing more with my truck. This reminds me that I need to ask Karl about that, or else scrap them all(money).

Fuel pump comparison

Here are the comparison pictures between the 2 style of sending units used in 95-01 explorers. The plastic canister one is used in 95 & 96 explorer's and the other one with the pump exposed is used on 97 and up explorer's.

100_0099.jpg

100_0100.jpg

100_0102.jpg

As you can see in the following picture the Walbro GSS340 pump doesn't fit in the cansister very well. It bulged out the side and top.
100_0107.jpg

I figured out the line with the dents is the return line and they deffinately look manufactured to me.
100_0104.jpg

This is the second spot on the line that the same marks (dents exist)
100_0105.jpg

That line comes from the fuel rail on the driver side:
100_0106.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. The two styles should work the same, given the pump and socks mounted at the same level. I see that you have new parts there. I also bought a new 91-94 style assembly, and recently decided to make the later(98-01) style work in my old 93 tank. So I have more spare new parts unneeded.:(

The fuel rail looks fine, plan to find the starvation problem in the rear lines or the tank. If a return line is dented, that would raise fuel pressure as it restricted flow back to the tank(which is what the FPR does).

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the main fuel line is restricted somewhere around the gas tank. I'm unlucky, so plan for it to be something else. Night,:salute:

My 5.0 lines have those same dents so that is the way they came.

Mine too

One thing to think about is the style of tank that you have. When I did my conversion my old tank had the canister style pump and the doaner had the open style. However, the doaner also had a sump built into the tank where mine old tank didn't. I couldn't use my old tank because it didn't have the pressure sensor so I order a new tank with the built in sump (the old doaner tank was rusted) and switch to the open style pump.

hmm.. I wasn't aware that the made a sump style tank.. I thought they were all the same. Well at any rate, I installed the new sending unit with the new Walbro GSS342 pump and the pressure problem is solved!! I have a constant 40psi whenever I'm on the gas and 35 all the rest of the time (idling and decelerating).

I ran the non sump style tank down to 1/8th tank and it didn't sputter or have any problems so as long as I don't run it all the way down I don't anticipate any problems..

Now its so rich that it's getting flooded out in the higher RPM's.. back to tuning.

That's excellent Andy, to read that you have plenty of fuel now. That is much safer to work with, you can tune that A/F ratio down to where it should be.
:salute:

Dang Andy. I was going to show you this thread-actually post 50 in this thread

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174427&highlight=walbro&page=3

Something told me you had a returnless pump.

Quote post 50

attachment.php

I vaguely recall that thread, and less so the one before that where the subject of fuel pumps was discussed.

What is supposed to be wrong with using an aftermarket returnless fuel pump? The sock difference is no big deal, but the pressure, do they work with the FPR differently for each type?

Dang Andy. I was going to show you this thread-actually post 50 in this thread

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174427&highlight=walbro&page=3

Something told me you had a returnless pump.

Quote post 50

attachment.php

Where were you back in, ohh March when I was first figuring this out!? :rolleyes: lol. I read a lot of your build thread for Turdle but could never find where you talked about the pump research and i figured I was over looking something or making it harder than it should be. Oh well, it all makes sense now and I'm happy as can be that it has more than enough fuel now!

By the way, do you know if a GSS341 or 342 would fit in that canister? I know I had to modify/ cut the connector housing off of the 340 to make it even close to fitting in the canister and it still wasn't perfect.

I vaguely recall that thread, and less so the one before that where the subject of fuel pumps was discussed.

What is supposed to be wrong with using an aftermarket returnless fuel pump? The sock difference is no big deal, but the pressure, do they work with the FPR differently for each type?

I'm running the 340 in my '94 Cobra with the stock fuel lines and rails with a Kirban adjustable FPR and I don't have any issues with mine.

Still working out bugs so it isn't perfect yet but over the weekend I did install Alloy USA hardened axles and a Ford Racing axle girdle.

100_0126.jpg

100_0127.jpg

100_0128.jpg

Does anyone remember how much oil the rear axle is supposed to hold. With that cover it took just shy of 4 quarts (3-3/4).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean "it took". Don't fill it up to the drain plug that is too much oil and will fill the axle shafts up. I have a similar diff cover just a different brand. I used what the manual said and a tad more since the cover is deeper.

Back