5.0 Swap Wiring Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CodiBroney

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer S-Trac
Hello, Im about to start a 5.0 swap into my sporttrac, and was wondering if it was possible to swap the entire wiring assembly from the 5.0 into my sporttrac instead of modifying the sporttrac wiring. The reason being is that I would like to swap over the interior from the limited 5.0 and keep the info center console, and over head temperature/direction gauge in front of the rearview mirror. Also because my trac is a 2005, i wont have to mess around to get the gauge cluster to work with the current wiring in the trac. Thoughts?

2005 SportTrac 4.0L
2000 Explorer Limited 5.0L

That plan is feasible when you want the other changes as mentioned, but it is a ton of work to completely gut two vehicles. Check your local laws for swapping drive trains, some don't allow older engines in newer vehicles. That extra work beyond normal swap projects you can find here, is the whole interior wiring and dash, console, plus the engine bay harness.

Normally you would need very minor changes to the OEM engine harness, but with the extra stuff changed inside, it may be simpler to swap that whole harness. Also don't forget the ABS module and G-force sensor used with the 98-01 PCM's. The frame harness has that, but you may find it easier to just cut out that short piece to the G-force sensor, and splice it into your frame harness. That goes through under the LF seat, a big hole in the floor just behind the seat.

Projectthread041.JPG

Back