5.0 swap

thorney_5

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT SOHC
My stock 4.0 SOHC has about 151,000 miles on it, and has had no major issues. I plan to take this engine to its very last mile, however I'd like to start planning ahead. I would love to put a v8 in when my 4.0 dies. I love the reliability of the 5.0 andtyne 4r70w. I have thought about everything from a turn key crate engine to buying a donor vehicle. I am open to ideas, but I'd like to keep the swap as straight forward as possible, keeping PATS, efi, obd-II, and as close to plug and play as possible. I also want to keep electronic shifted 4x4. My top priority is getting a very close to new or rebuilt engine and trans (automatic) for maximum longevity. So, what do you guys think?

Also, yes I do know how to use the search button, but haven't found quite what I'm looking for.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your better off getting a donor truck. myself, blueka (both 2 door sports) and ahodges have done a 5L swap, ahodges with a e4406, blueka with awd, and myself with a manual 4406. browse our registry's, its all there.

Dont forget me! Yea definitely get a donor and try to get as close to your year as possible

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

What's it like finding low mileage 5.0's out there?

your lucky your in the u.s., cause if you where here you would have better luck finding a leprechaun riding a unicorn.

Lol look on Craigslist there are a few on the eastern shore page ( down this way) so im sure you can find one but I would steer away from ones up your way for a while jersey has alot of flood cars from the hurricane

your lucky your in the u.s., cause if you where here you would have better luck finding a leprechaun riding a unicorn.

psssh

took me like 2 seconds on google

leprechaun-joyride.jpg

just buy a V8 model

In my opinion, unless you have a 2 door Sport or a customized 4 door model that you're not willing to give up you're better off just finding a stock V8 powered vehicle and selling your SOHC V6 model before the timing chain rattle starts. Swapping the V8 powertrain into your V6 powertrain chassis is a lot of work with numerous potential problems and results in a vehicle with lower resale value. Just solving the PATS issues can be frustrating. The rear axle, driveshaft, transmission mount, exhaust system, motor mounts, and radiator may be different. I've seen V8 models here in South Carolina priced from less than $3,000 to $4,500 depending on condition and options. If your vehicle is in comparable condition you could upgrade for as little as $1,000 (difference between selling yours and buying another).

Im finding them around here from 500$ to 1500$

In my opinion, unless you have a 2 door Sport or a customized 4 door model that you're not willing to give up you're better off just finding a stock V8 powered vehicle and selling your SOHC V6 model before the timing chain rattle starts. Swapping the V8 powertrain into your V6 powertrain chassis is a lot of work with numerous potential problems and results in a vehicle with lower resale value. Just solving the PATS issues can be frustrating. The rear axle, driveshaft, transmission mount, exhaust system, motor mounts, and radiator may be different. I've seen V8 models here in South Carolina priced from less than $3,000 to $4,500 depending on condition and options. If your vehicle is in comparable condition you could upgrade for as little as $1,000 (difference between selling yours and buying another).

i would do that, but ive become attached to this truck. And with all the little odds and ends ive done to it, it would be a tremendous pain to have to it all over again. I would rather keep my truck and if i run into problems with the swap, so be it, it will only be a learning experience. As a plus, my sister has a 5.0 thats the same year(believe me ive done everything to convince her to sell it to me, but she loves hers like i love mine), so i can reference that if i have any problems

Sooooo I'd LIKE to keep the electronic 4WD... But it seems my options are limited.
1. Keep my current t case and buy a $400 adapter to mate it to the 4r70w (different length driveshafts needed?)
2. Get an electric 4406 and have to get a new fuel tank and 2 new driveshafts, plus the hassle of the TOD/GEM/wiring
3. Settle for AWD or manual 4406, which means 2 new driveshafts and a good amount of part searching and fabrication

Any other options? Advice is greatly appreciated

You won't be so attached to your EX after you invest a lot of $ in your upgrade.

V8 AWD Gen are all over CL for decent $, one in Greenville SC for $2500 obo.

Well here is my 2 cents. The V8 swap is a pain in the a$$ but is also a lot of fun!! I kept mine over buying a different truck is because I'm attached to mine for several reasons, sentimental.

Since yours is already a 4x4 V6 then your swap would most closely align with what I did. You wouldn't need to change the Gem or any of the 4x4 electronics. If you want the ability to have only 2wd then you would just have to do the brown wire mod. I also recommend getting a donor because of all the little things you will need. Your advantage is that you have your sisters truck to reference so in theory you could get away with just getting what you need from a pull it yourself junkyard. Depending on how far you plan to take this be prepared to spend a good chunk of change. Whatever you think your budget is you need to double or triple that figure to be close to the actual cost.

Quick list of major parts you'll need is
Engine
4R70W
4406 TOD
V8 radiator (it is a bit longer than the V6 one)
91-96 front drive shaft (will also need an adaptor)
Expedition rear drive shaft

If you stay AWD like the stock V8 explorers then you can reuse the exact same drive shafts you have ( front and rear)

Any questions I'd be happy to help

I will also be willing to help on what ever info I can. I have a v8 swaped sport.

I guess my biggest question for now (ther will be many more when I actually start the swap) is about 4WD. I've heard that with the 4406 TOD you need to replace the 4 door fuel tank with a shorter one from the sport. Is there any truth to this?

I did that because it gives you plenty of room to work with it and I, nor anyone else has found a way to make the stock 4 door tank fit with the 4406 TOD. The reason being is that the shift motor hangs off the back too far (same shift motor as the V6 transfercase uses).

I have not found any truth in needing to modify/ clearance the floor while using the 4406 TOD. I just had to shave off the molding tabs on the side of the transfercase.

thanks. How is mounting the sport tank, just 2 new holes further back in the frame? Or is it a different set up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You only have to move the front tank mount back to the new location and drill a total of 4 new holes. And slightly spread the bracket to fit around the frame which is slightly wider towards the rear.

Back