5.0 Timing Cover Coolant Leak Repeat top passenger corner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Timing Cover Coolant Leak Repeat top passenger corner

Post number 6 has been selected as best answered.

crunchie_frog

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
Multiple 99-00 5.0 AWD
I have replaced the timing cover gasket on 4 different 5.0 vehicles due to coolant leaking. The oldest repair is about 4 years old and 50K miles, no leaks. Of the four, one has started leaking again, top passenger corner, and it was installed about 2 years ago, 25K miles when it was leaking at the same place. I have it removed now and when I put a straight edge on it, there is a gap that I can see light through at both of the top corners where the cover connects to the coolant ports. I could measure if that would help anyone with giving advice. I have tried K-seal, others, slows it down but eventually leaked again so now I have it removed. Below are my ideas, what would you recommend?

Option 1 - purchase new timing cover, Rock Auto has ATP 103039 or Pioneer 500302T (other?) Any preference for replacement cover?

Option 2 - I have a perfectly flat surface, rubber cement some sandpaper on the surface and level out the timing cover so the two outer edges at the top are flush with the rest of the cover.

Others?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What brand gaskets are you using? That's a strange one, I've replaced a lot of timing cover gaskets on small blocks, as a Ford tech and my shop restoring Mustangs and Ford's. I've always used Fel-pro or Ford gaskets. I think either brand will work.

BTW be sure to use a thin coat of rtv on both sides at the water ports

What brand gaskets are you using? That's a strange one, I've replaced a lot of timing cover gaskets on small blocks, as a Ford tech and my shop restoring Mustangs and Ford's. I've always used Fel-pro or Ford gaskets. I think either brand will work.

BTW be sure to use a thin coat of rtv on both sides at the water ports
Thanks, I have always used Felpro, always used thin coat of RTV. The three other repairs are holding fine.

You can try and flatten the cover. I’ve had fairly solid results using thick lexan with fine grit sandpaper glued down to “flatten” two cycle cylinders after they were overheated and melted down.

Get a new one
They are under $100,
$87 on rockauto, $65 on ebay

I keep one in stock at all times

Whenever you replace these sometimes you win sometimes you lose

The 4 bolts that enter the water jacket are the issue, many times as I am sure you know, the cover gets pried up and over a broken stud. This will warp or bend the cover at the top corners. So the solution, get a new cover.
sandwich the new gasket with permatex ultra grey AND use thread sealant on the threads of those 4 bolts.
You can of course flatten your current cover on a belt sander or with a file, what have you....but for $85 plus shipping I choose to just keep one in stock. I keep any ones that can be saved also. I do enough of these to just keep a brand new one hanging on the shelf.

Felpro or Mahle, Motorcraft, all of those gaskets will work, the felpro kit is the best IMO

This site is being taken over by "Leaking timing covers" ....at least for this month.

Get a new one
They are under $100,
$87 on rockauto, $65 on ebay

I keep one in stock at all times

Whenever you replace these sometimes you win sometimes you lose

The 4 bolts that enter the water jacket are the issue, many times as I am sure you know, the cover gets pried up and over a broken stud. This will warp or bend the cover at the top corners. So the solution, get a new cover.
sandwich the new gasket with permatex ultra grey AND use thread sealant on the threads of those 4 bolts.
You can of course flatten your current cover on a belt sander or with a file, what have you....but for $85 plus shipping I choose to just keep one in stock. I keep any ones that can be saved also. I do enough of these to just keep a brand new one hanging on the shelf.

Felpro or Mahle, Motorcraft, all of those gaskets will work, the felpro kit is the best IMO
Thanks, yes, ordered a new one, $65 on ebay.

I have the 4.0 SOHC engine and I had nothing but leaks when I installed the fel-pro kit after I did the timing chains. Went down to Ford and bought the gaskets and replaced all the Fel-Pro gakets and haven't had a problem since.

Valve covers, oil pan, timing cover, water pump gasket, and crank seal all leaked. Problem solved with Motorcraft parts. Lost faith in Fel-Pro.

Valve covers, oil pan, timing cover, water pump gasket, and crank seal all leaked. Problem solved with Motorcraft parts. Lost faith in Fel-Pro.
Where’d you purchase them?

Fel pro gaskets work just find, as do Mahle, Victor Reinz
I like to think half of the gaskets performance is who is installing them!! HAHAHAHAHA no that is not a dig, it just takes some experience to be able to properly seal a 4.0 or 5.0 pushrod the first time through, no matter who's gaskets you are working with.

Ditto, the prep work is a big key. Make it all clean, and flat, use High tack spray a gasket, or smear Ultra Black(pick your color) over the critical surfaces, and use thread sealant. Ultra ... RTV will seal almost anything, including tiny gaps, if it's allowed to set up properly.

Timing covers and WP gaskets, all have sealing surfaces which are too narrow. It can be a challenge to get them to seal long term.

This site is being taken over by "Leaking timing covers" ....at least for this month.
In fact, it's the silly 1950's design, with the weight of the fan and the belt tension pulling on the innocent, thin aluminum cover casting that's the problem. It was solved three decades when ago when they moved the water pump away and put an electric motor on the fan. Has anybody tried to shoehorn a 4.6L into our 2nd gen Ex?

For what it's worth, if genuine Motorcraft/OETM gaskets are the thing, why did it start to leak in the first place? The three other repairs have all held fine, all Felpro, one over 50K miles. The ears at the top of the timing cover had lost metal due to corrosion (from the original leak with Motorcraft gaskets). I am confident the new timing cover (provided it is manufactured correctly) with a Felpro gasket will be a "permanent" repair.

U gotta bottom Tap threads & clean them VERY well - Make sure u have right fastener in the right place - It aint fun to do once no matter TWICE ~!

8MM PULLER BOLTS.JPG

24MM 15 16 HARMONIC BOLT.JPG

HYPOID CHAIN.JPG

TIMING COVER.JPG

Mostly said. Proper gaskets and sealants only work well with proper torque. I have used both Ford and Felpro gaskets with no gasket failures in nearly 30 years. My "truck" has not leaked and It was latest overhauled 12 years and around 25k miles. (Yes, it has spent years sitting during that time while I was deployed.) Take your time, read all directions (some sealants require drying time), and do it right the first time.

Thought I'd throw in some photos of the Fel-Pro gasket leaks before I replaced them witht the Motorcraft. No more leaks, problem solved...

Possible coolant leak.jpg

Possible coolant leak 2.jpg

Possible coolant leak 3.jpg

Possible coolant leak 4.jpg

Back