5.0 timing pointer

Capri302

Reaction score
City, State
SKJETTEN
Year, Model & Trim Level
4.0 4x4 1997 Explorer
Hello, Explorers.

I'm sorry to say I sold off my 1997 4.0 Explorer a month back or so....

Anyway- I have a 5.0 V8 (Windsor, cam in block....) in another car.

I have the Explorer timing cover, reluctor wheel and crank posistion sensor.

I'm using a timing pointer for a 1982 5.0. Needless to say; I had troubles mounting it as it goes to the same location as the CPS..... I need to find a pointer to suit the Explorer cover w/ CP sensor.

I have looked at different timing pointers for the 5.0 and have found 2 different mounting positions for the bracket and 3 for the pointer itself. But, I'm not able to figure which fit my application.

I hope for someone to stand up and tell me what aftermarket timing pointer I can use for this application.... Or the mounting position. It would help me out as well...

Seem to remember that the old 5.0 was retained in the Explorer up to around 2000, so I hope I'm posting in the correct forum!

Thanks alot
RuneS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What engine operating system are you using, and what front dress parts also? If it's Explorer PCM, then you wouldn't need a pointer.

So I'm guessing you have an older system/PCM, or none(carb). The Explorer balancer is only good for the Explorer PCM, so what's that for? If it's aftermarket system stuff, then you will have to match the pulley depths. The Explorer belt rides much farther back then pre-94 engines(front dress).

Seem to remember that the old 5.0 was retained in the Explorer up to around 2000, so I hope I'm posting in the correct forum!
2001 was the last year.

It's got a SFI steel balancer and the Explorer reluctant(?) trigger wheel mounted to it. (As on a stock Explorer balancer).

Got the Explorer front cover.

A timing pointer for a stock 82- 92 (or thereabout) will fit the front cover and be correct for the application. BUT:
It is in conflict with the Explorer trigger wheel (crank position-) sensor which use the same mounting holes.

I need a pointer to check "real" timing, and the pointer has to use other mounting holse than the 80's Msutang (or whatever) 302.

Here's a close- up pic:
698ebd89.jpg
(Never mind the noe clearance issue wheel vs balancer- I had a issue and it is fixed.) You can see in this pick I have bolted a mocified timing pointer atop the sensor. Getting it bolted up is PITA, beacuse I don't have access to the lower bolt. Getting the pointer relocated would help alot.

This is how it looks from the front (sorry, blurry pic):
d97253ef.jpg

Looks cool.

FYI, you can use a PCM from a 99-01 4.6 V8 to run a pushrod V8, if you use the 302 crank trigger, and 99-01 distributor(synchronizer). That let's you use the COP's that you have there now. I'm hunting for a 99-02 Mustang for wiring now, for my 91 Lincoln.

Yeah; I use the cam synchronizer as you mention and it works great. Its run by FAST XFI/XIM fuel injection and ignition.

PCM.... is that the ECU you're talking about? Yeah, I suppose so. And then you have to use a 351W/ 302roller cam (ignition sequence).
That's exactly what I do; the FAST XIM ignition module "think" it drives a 4.6 3V- it has the same sequence as the 351 solid roller cam.

I spent a too much buying all the injection hardware. Hard to come buy and hard to find People knowing the OE Components over here (Norway)....

Noone seeing a pointer to fulfill my needs???

Thanks
RS

RS, I would look at the mid 90's 351W trucks, the last of the EFI models. I know little about them, but they may have a pointer still. The Explorer really doesn't have one because it's not needed. The stock system locks it in with the cam synchronizer that is not intended to be adjusted.

Your system of parts may need an initial timing, but if it's as thorough as the stock 96-01 PCM system, then you can simply install the cam synchronizer using the OEM tool that is used to set it. Then the timing is all controlled by the computer(PCM).

PCM = Powertrain Control Module(applies to all makes of vehicles(all)). All vehicles have a computer, a PCM, no matter who the manufacturer is. PCM is the one name that applies to them all.

Back